Living on a budget - jams?

flower-child01, Mar 8, 7:17pm
What brand of jams do you prefer - Select or Home Brand!

supercook, Mar 8, 7:48pm
I pay just abit more and buy barkers or ananoth as they are nicer. Or I wait till they are on special and stock up!

cookessentials, Mar 8, 7:51pm
Or make your own when the fruits are cheap.

accroul, Mar 8, 8:12pm
I make my own.

lilyfield, Mar 8, 9:08pm
i make my own

jaybee6, Mar 8, 9:18pm
I make my own from tomatoe and its the best jam ever.

village.green, Mar 8, 9:33pm
I make my own, but it will only work for you if you either have or someone gives you free fruit or you can source cheap bulk fruit. Obviously you have to factor in the sugar and power costs although the power won't be much unless you are making kilos and kilos.

lythande1, Mar 9, 12:36am
Make my own - however, you need to have free fruit to make it economical.
But I do have fruit.got given some peaches too today so I have just bottled them into small jars.
The whole point of budget is to be cheaper than everything else.no free fruit - then I'd buy Pams or Homebrand or something.whatever was cheaper.

punkinthefirst, Mar 9, 2:55am
Jams made from cheap fruit are also a go. Free is better, of course. Blackberries are ripening at the moment and are free for the gathering. They can be extended with apple, because they're quite strongly flavoured.
If you are preserving apples in any way, reserve the skins and cores. Cover them with water and boil until they are well-softened, then strain the liquid through a jelly-bag overnight. Boil the juice til it turns a medium pink, then add 3/4 cup sugar for every cup liquid. Boil hard til it sets. Voila! Cheap apple jelly!
(To which you can add other flavourings such as lemon cloves and cinnamon, while boiling the skins, or whatever takes your fancy)
I don't like the seeds and worms I find in wild blackberries, so I make plain blackberry jelly, then use the pulp with an equal quantity of apple skins and cores to make blackberry and apple jelly. Grape and apple jelly is pretty good, too.
But then, I'm a REAL cheapskate!

elliehen, Mar 9, 3:07am
I make a few jars of favourites, like apricot, boysenberry and dark plum but I also buy some from the twice-yearly sale of jams and preserves home-made by the local Lioness Club.They make interesting jams like fig & ginger, elderberry etc and I always look for something different to try.

flower-child01, Mar 10, 4:01am
Thanks for the input, unfortunately due to the shortage of cheap fruit plus health issues I can't make my own as much as i would like, hence the ask.