Pippi fritter recipe please

katje, Jan 15, 6:35am
we gathered pippis today and I want to try pippi fritters.

wheelz, Jan 15, 8:05am
You got them soaking in a bucket of sea water! If not, they will be full of sand. I've got one for mussels, that would be suitable if wanted.

katje, Jan 15, 8:19am
yes they are going to soak overnight in fresh water

wheelz, Jan 15, 8:29am
Sea water is better, and changed 1 or 2 times, they tend not to open in fresh water, as they live in sea water. Put some scrunched up mesh or similar in bottom of bucket so the bottom pipis aren't sucking in sand again. If they are not cleared of sand, its hardlyworth cooking them, sand in fritters is not appetising.

wheelz, Jan 15, 8:41am
40 pipi or 1 c pipi meat, 1/2 c self raising flour, 1/2 red onion finely chopped, 1 tsp lemon rind, 1 tbsp chopped parsley, 1 tbsp sweet chili sauce, 1/4 c soda water or beer.
Remove meat from shells and roughly chop. Sift flour into bowl with onion, rind, parsley and salt & pepper. Mix in chilli sauce, soda and pipis.
Heat butter and oil in pan and cook heaped tspfuls over medium heat till golden on both sides.

rarogal, Jan 17, 2:05am
Mmmmm.has some at New Year, my recipe said to mince in processor, but I didn't have one at our beach oust so,just finely chopped. They were delicious and even the kids loved them.