Baking for Sports Snacks

Page 2 / 2
elliehen, Jan 20, 7:09am
I agree.I have marathon runners in my family - they would be laughing at that ill-informed advice.Obviously it's not from personal experience.

sarahb5, Jan 21, 1:05am
Thanks - I have had some experience of sportsmen in our family stopping mid-race to throw up and that's the last thing you need to do when you're trying to concentrate on winning!Mr 18 has learnt from experience that he can't eat too much before competition - just plenty of quick-fire energy foods and lots to drink.

sarahb5, Jan 21, 1:07am
I know - borders on child (or athlete) abuse I'm sure but he knows what works for him and at 5.30 in the morning it also needs to be something requiring very little thought or preparation!

kay141, Jan 21, 1:36am
You will have the food police after you shortly. I feel for the teenagers trying to train at Uli's pool with up to 8 per lane. Does that mean they can't swim too fast or they bang into the one in front. And they can only do it if enough lanes are available! I think the way they do it here with the pools closed to the public during certain times is much better.

sarahb5, Jan 21, 1:43am
That's how it is here - that's why they train at such ungodly times of the morning (5.30 - 7.30) or at night.I'm not sure how many in Mr 18's lane but it certainly wouldn't be 8 - that'd be chaos!

kay141, Jan 21, 2:01am
Our local pool is closed for training early some mornings and some nights. No public admission at all during those times. It is caters for the local schools so even during the day, it is sometimes not available to the public. And then there are things like aquarobics which would make lane swimming difficult. They are all rate payer subsidised and the schools etc. pay a price, so I guess it all comes down to economics. it may be that because the council runs several pools, they can stagger the times.

uli, Jan 21, 4:27am
We only have 1 pool and a wave pool. So the clubs have to share with the members. Of course they could come in before or after hours, but they rather book out all the lanes some days in January and the fully paid members cannot swim for hours. Which leads to some interesting scenes on those days. Luckily those clashes are only happening in January and the month is nearly over.

Why do you think the fully paid members should not be able to swim when the pool is open kay! Why should the clubs have priority to those that pay their memberships a year in advance! Not quite sure why you are even bringing that up!

Were we not going to give recipes in this thread! I gave heaps further up - even some for baking sweets for the kids that cannot stomach protein before competing. Let us see yours!

kay141, Jan 21, 4:33am
We don't have yearly memberships at the pools. They are all council owned, ratepayer subsidised and you pay as you go. A 10 session ticket is the most you can buy in advance. If I went to the pool, for someone my age it would cost $4, I think and a 10 session ticket would be $30. So that is why the pools are closed to the public at certain times. I have no recipes. OP asked for some ideas or recipes to wean kids off sweet things and was given some ideas. Other posters who are involved with competitive sport supplied ideas and I'm sure recipes can be supplied if required.

sarahb5, Jan 21, 4:34am
That's nice - and so is the cake recipe I gave above .

sarahb5, Jan 21, 4:36am
Ours is the same - I have no idea how much it costs though - my son just adds to his card when he needs it, with our money of course.I think I must've bought a lane by now!

kay141, Jan 21, 4:39am
Probably but the council would never admit it. They might have to reduce your rates.

rainrain1, Jan 21, 5:48am
Scroggin Square

175g butter
3 T golden syrup
4 T boiling water
3/4 t baking soda
1+1/2 cups rolled oats
1+1/2 cups coconut
1/2 cup mixed fruit or a mixture of currants dates and raisins
1+1/2 cups brown sugar
1+1/2 cups flour
handful of nuts
Melt butter and add syrup, water and soda. Mix with other ingredients.Press into a greased sponge roll tin.Bake 20-25 minutes at 180*C

sarahb5, Jan 21, 9:48am
OP - if you haven't gone to camp yet can you let us know what sport these young athletes are involved in!Thanks

rainrain1, Jan 22, 10:18am
Gob up the scroggin