Tomatoe Relish from Edmonds book

jills3, Dec 17, 4:40am
I prepared recipe last night,have just put into preserving pan,But I dont have any chillies.Have all the other ingredients.Will my relish be lacking without the chillies!could I replace it with anything else.Thank you.

avoking, Dec 17, 4:42am
Chilli powder, hot paprika, cayennne pepper.

holly-rocks, Dec 17, 5:01am
Ive made that relish millions of times and its perfectly fine without chillies :)

jills3, Dec 17, 5:07am
Thanks alot for replies,it will be without chillies then.Just want to to be tasty as its for Christmas presents,thanks again.

dibble35, Dec 17, 5:26am
I made this for the first time last summer, and I loved the chilli in it, gave it a real zing, have been saving up my jars and have lots tomato plants in the garden so i can make heaps this year. I only ended up with 3 jars last year and i greedily kept them all for myself as they were so yummy

holly-rocks, Dec 17, 5:30am
Its a great recipe! I remember eating it when i was very young ( My nana used to make it) now 20+ years im making it :)

juliewn, Dec 18, 12:22am
It's our favourite tomato relish recipe too. though I don't thicken it at all. I simmer the mixture till it's as thick as I want it to be, then bottle it. if you want to do this, the mix will thicken a bit as it cools, so have it a little less thick when you bottle it. The flavour is more intense. and no flour needed at all.

I also use white vinegar so the relish has a more red colour than when using malt vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is great too.

It's great to spread over a pizza base then ingredients added. amazing flavour.One jar left from last year.

thewomble1, Dec 20, 1:39pm
I use arrowroot to thicken instead of flour.

thewomble1, Dec 20, 1:39pm
I use arrowroot to thicken instead of flour.
Had one lot that was not quite thick enough when cold so emptied in pan and heated. Added some arrowroot (mixed with a little water) and heated till liquid became 'clear' and bottled.