Crab meat salad

sharl3, Dec 15, 7:18am
Hi there, does anyone have a really nice recipe for crab meat salad! thanks

uli, Dec 15, 7:43am
REAL Crab meat - or something else altogether like "Surimi"!

uli, Dec 15, 7:45am
". The flaky, red-edged faux crab in your seafood salad or California roll is most likely made of Alaska Pollock. Also called Walleye Pollock, Snow Cod, or Whiting, this fish is abundant in the Bering Sea near Alaska and can also be found along the central California coast and in the Sea of Japan. Pollock has a very mild flavor, making it ideal for the processing and artificial flavoring of imitation crab. While Pollock is the most common fish used to make fake crab, New Zealand Hoki is also used, and some Asian manufacturers use Southeast Asian fish like Golden Treadfin Bream and White Croaker.
The processing of imitation crabmeat begins with the skinning and boning of the fish. Then the meat is minced and rinsed, and the water is leached out. This creates a thick paste called surimi. The word means "minced fish" in Japanese, and the essential techniques for making it were developed in Japan over 800 years ago. Surimi is commonly used in Japan to make a type of fish ball or cake called kamaboko. In 1975, a method for processing imitation crabmeat from surimi was invented in Japan, and in 1983, American companies started production.
Many ingredients are added to the surimi to give it a stable form, appealing texture, and crab-like flavor. Sugar, sorbitol, wheat or tapioca starch, egg whites, and vegetable or soybean oil can all help improve the form of the surimi. Natural and artificial crab flavorings are added, and some of these flavorings are made from real crab or from boiled shells. Carmine, caramel, paprika, and annatto extract are often used to make the crab's red, orange, or pink coloring. Imitation crab is cooked, which helps set the surimi and give it the final texture and appearance. Nutritionally speaking, surimi is not that different from real crab, although it is lower in cholesterol."
http://ask.yahoo.com/20030110.html

sharl3, Dec 15, 8:05am
Hi, using the crab meat that you buy in the supermarket, the Surimi

korbo, Dec 15, 8:12am
Have recently bought a tin of crab meat. havent opened it yet, wonder what it will be like.

sting20, Dec 15, 8:19am
my flat mate cuts little pieces up surimi aka crabmeat puts chopped up wee cubes tomato and Best foods Mayo and stirs it round . it so yummy

davidt4, Dec 15, 8:50am
Tinned crab and surimi are both revolting.Real crab meat is delicious and needs just a little home made mayonnaise and some lettuce to make a lovely salad.Add some chopped hard boiled eggs if you want to make it go further.

uli, Dec 16, 3:22am
Yes - but you need a real crab first :)

nauru, Dec 16, 5:46am
Mix cooked pasta, (shells are good), chopped spring onion, chopped dill together with the surimi and add seafood/thousand island dressing to coat.Sometimes I mix cooked chickpeas into it.It is also nice with a currried mayonnaise dressing instead of the seafood one, add some chopped fresh coriander

gingercrush, Dec 16, 6:13am
hahaha you got the "surimi is not crab meat" talk. But all this talk of surimi, crays make me really really want crab fish for Christmas. But last I looked they were 30 dollars each.

nauru, Dec 17, 4:53am
Uli re: post 3, I think that OP asked for a recipe, not a lecture.

uli, Dec 17, 5:39am
I am sure she did - however if you do not post if it is surimi you are talking about or tinned crab meat or fresh crabs then there is not much one can suggest aye! And in my experience of this message board most people think surimi is actually crab meat!

jstlookin4bargn, Dec 17, 7:30am
I got a good one chopped up boiled eggs surimi shrimps and best food mayo it's the best and you can add red onion or spring onion

fourz, Dec 17, 9:26am
I mix whipped cream and thousand Island dressing together, chop up some surimi, some shrimps.Mix together then add spring onion and chopped tomato.I get asked for it every year and its the first dish to go.Could add mussels too but I don't eat them so they don't get put in mine.

kay141, Dec 17, 7:51pm
I'm interested in the recipes but not the "snarky" comments. Real crabs are for sale at my local market most Saturdays.

gerry64, Dec 17, 8:36pm
My young uni neighbour makes a lovely green thai curry using surimi - makes a real yummy curry within her budget

sykotik_ninja, Dec 17, 9:04pm
I peel the layers of Surimi apart instead of cutting them, I add spring onions, red onions, yellow capsicum, tomatoes, diced cucumber (optional) salt,cracked pepper to taste and cream or mayonaise.

nauru, Dec 18, 5:06am
I'd be interested to know which market kay141, we sometimes head down to the Hutt Valley at weekends.

kay141, Dec 18, 6:27am
The one on the Riverbank. The fish stall quite often has crabs, no guarantees though. I usually get there abou 10am, sometimes half his fish is gone, sometimes not. The luck of the draw. And if you like good bacon and sausages, try the Pironga bacon stall, usually over by the takeaway foods. i get my veges, fruit, eggs, bread, bacon and sausages at the market. Can't always get the fish. I'm after some Stewart Island smoked salmon this weekend so I hope they are there.

knowsley, Dec 18, 6:31am
Moore Wilson Fresh usually has fresh crabs too, as well as some better sized frozen ones.

yachtie3, Dec 18, 6:33am
True that

nauru, Dec 18, 6:39am
Thanks for all that info

ngatidread, Dec 18, 6:53am
We use surimi, red or spring onions, tomatoes and we have to add pasta in our house because we are a large family.But its the dressing that really tops it off.We add wholegrain mustard to best foods mayo, a squeeze of lemon juice, a sprinkling of paprika and rock salt & cracked pepper (to taste), mix it all together and HELLO Seafood Salad!

sharl3, Dec 18, 7:06am
Hey everyone, thanks for the recipe ideas, I am going to try some of these for Christmas