Truffle question

jaez1, Dec 14, 3:26pm
I make sometruffles from 2nds of slice- ends from Kayes Bakery. I have always adding butter to those truffles to aid setting, but now I wonder if that is really necessary!
A friend made some truffles from choc thins, condensed milk and peppermints, and I don't think she added butter.
Is butter necessary when making truffles from biscuit crumbs!
Thanks in advance

gardie, Dec 14, 4:59pm
No.I make the biscuit crumbs and cream cheese ones - nothing else.Provided you have something that sticks them together you don't need butter.

jaez1, Dec 14, 10:22pm
Thanks gardie. I'm going to try gingercrunch slice crumbs, and I reckon they will have ample butter in them. Would condensed milk glue them together ok!

245sam, Dec 14, 10:37pm
jaez1, as gardie has advised butter is not always necessary and re your intention to "try gingercrunch slice crumbs", here's a recipe that you might be interested in - it can be used to make either truffles/balls or a slice.Note that it does not have any butter but instead has the caramelised sweetened condensed milk + white chocolate to bind and hold the other ingredients together.An easy to make recipe and IF you have any spares/leftovers they freeze well too.

CARAMEL GINGER BALLS
1 x 250g packet gingernut biscuits, crushed
½ cup each ofdesiccated coconutandchopped crystallised ginger
¾ cup Highlander Caramel
1 cup white melts
extra desiccated coconut

Combine the crushed biscuits, coconut and ginger in a medium bowl.Place the caramel and white melts in a medium saucepan.Cook, stirring over low heat until the chocolate is melted and the ingredients are combined.Using moist hands roll the mixture into small balls and then roll them in the extra desiccated coconut.Set on a tray in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Makes 28 balls.

Hope that helps.:-))

jaez1, Dec 14, 11:14pm
Mmmm that sound so yummy. I'm going to make them right now. Thanks

sstraight, Dec 15, 5:53am
I have just made my truffles. 2x Tim Tams about 3/4 off 250g tub of cream cheese in a kitchen whizz and coated in chocolate.