Rice salad my mum used to make

jellabie, Nov 25, 12:01am
I would love to make this salad.From what I remember it was an acquired taste, I absolutely loved it.I remember the bulk of it was mixed veges and rice and the dressing was made from mixing vinegar, mustard powder and milk together, the resulting curdle made a thick sauce.I'm pretty sure there was also grated onion in it which gave it a distinct flavour.She stopped making it when someone gave her a rice salad recipe she liked better.This was probably a very old recipe, I recall it used teacups as a measurement.

lost-in-oz, Nov 25, 12:06am
would the mustard, vinegar and milk dressing have been the condensed milk salad dressing!

geldof, Nov 25, 1:35am
This is not your home!

jellabie, Nov 25, 2:14am
it was plain cows milk.My mum is back home, shes looking thru her old recipes books for me now.Hope she finds it :o)

nzhel, Nov 25, 10:19am
Huh!

nik12, Nov 25, 10:23am
Question I would have asked if it hadn't already been. Rice vege and condensed milk dressing sounds quite likely to be an early nz rice salad.

margyr, Nov 25, 5:10pm
did she find her recipe! My Mum used to make a dressing using vinegar, sugar, mustard powder and milk I dont think she had a recipe just used to make it to taste.

geldof, Nov 25, 7:47pm
Sorry people for talking off topic.
Was wanting to leave a message for lost-in-oz and had no other way of doing it.

geldof, Nov 25, 7:48pm
I'm too shy to say anything more.

lost-in-oz, Nov 25, 10:08pm
gotcha