Good crab bisque recipe with otago paddle crabs

katje, Nov 24, 1:48am

bill241, Nov 24, 1:50am
Ooh that's from my polytechnic! I think I may have made this one and it was pretty good but I'm not that keen on bisque generally.

katje, Nov 24, 1:57am
Im not a huge crab fan just trying to find ways I can prepare it for my partner without my hating it. This looks quite neat. if you tried it can you tell me if the chicken stock and the crab taste clash!

bill241, Nov 24, 2:02am
You couldn't taste it at all, it just gave it a good base. Have you had bisque before! Its not exactly 'crab' tasting but more the roasted up shell that gives it a distinct flavour that is what bisque is.

isnowdon, Nov 24, 3:14am

katje, Nov 24, 10:14am
no I was surfing the net because its a new thing for me. I saw the seinfeld clip with the soup nazi a few days ago and was trying to look up crab bisque as a result ;)

bill241, Nov 24, 11:24pm
We made it with the paddler crabs because we were learning about sustainability and the importance of utilising local food and wasting as little as possible, so it was a great example of that. I would probably make it again I guess, but yeah, its certainly a flavour all of its own.

katje, Nov 25, 9:38am
same taste as a normal crab or stronger!

bill241, Nov 25, 10:47am
Its more the fact that its the shells of the crab or other crustacean that you cook up, that gives it a distinct flavour. I dunno, its hard to describe. Give it a go and see what you think. There was an article in the weekend ODT by Bevan Smith of Riverstone Kitchen about paddle crabs as well

beaker59, Nov 25, 1:09pm
I find NZ paddle crabs (doubt that otago ones are any different) are mild flavoured compared to most around the world. So they can be a tad bland if just steamed however if fried off in a bit of butter or oil like show in the clip they come up very nice.

katje, Nov 26, 1:38am
thanks for that!

beaker59, Nov 26, 2:52am
Try following the instructions up to removing the dead mans fingers then cut the leg portion into 4 pieces take the pieces and fry in butter with some red curry paste and chopped onion get some colour in there and once just cooked then tip in some coconut cream to deglaze and form a curry base. serve the legs roughly in a bowl and pour the rich sauce over serve with finger bowls and a large bib one of lifes great pleasures with a nice beer.

katje, Nov 26, 2:56am
thanks heaps!

beaker59, Nov 26, 3:00am
No worries I used to do this allot and haven't for a few years must go out and catch a few. Its really easy to catch them up here in the north.

katje, Nov 26, 8:10am
what part of the country are you in!