Peppermint log slice

vonkrum, Oct 30, 2:29am
x1
I can remember having when I was a child a peppermint log slice that was I think from memory a packet of cool mints whizzed in food processor and there was condensed milk I think also, not sure about any other ingredients.It was rolled into a log and covered in coconut and sliced into pieces.It was one of nanas recipes and she sadly is no longer around to ask.Anyone remember anything like this.

gaara406, Oct 30, 2:59am
so something like this: http://www.bakersroyale.com/cakes/peppermint-chocolate-roll/
Different recipe but something like this!

245sam, Oct 30, 3:25am
x1
vonkrum, was the peppermint log slice something like the following which is from the former Trademe Cooks!

"MINT TRUFFLES
1 tin condensed milk heated, add 1 pkt crushed choc. thins and a bag of crushed hard peppermints - put mixture in freezer until cool then roll into balls. Can put choc in centre and roll in coconut.
posted by jaky"

Hope that helps you to recreate your childhood memory.:-))

lodgelocum, Oct 30, 4:51am
Double YUM!

zappi, Oct 31, 12:55am
Thanks, but there was no chocolate and definitely remember the packet of cool mints.Nana always made the little extras at christmas.When cut just little pieces, like 1" at the most.

nadineb, Oct 31, 8:24am
My mum used to make that recipe she is having a look might take her a while

gardie, Nov 1, 5:44am
They sound yum.Perhaps you could invent your own special treat that you could hand down to your grandchildren.You could write a 'grandmothers cookbook' to hand down as well.I'm doing one this Christmas for my two oldest children, putting mine and their favourite recipes into it.Not quite a grandmothers cookbook but I hope one day to cook with my grandchildren and put one together for them as well.

flower-child01, Nov 1, 6:28am
Is this it!

1 pkt Girl Guide Biscuits (crushed)
105gm pkt Oddfellows (crushed)
1/2 can Condensed milk
50gms Butter (melted)
1/2 cup Coconut
Add melted buter and condensed milk to the well crushed biscuits and mints.
Then make a log of it and set in the fridge.
Once set you can cut into slices.

http://homepages.maxnet.co.nz/barknet/nzchat/recipe/peppermintslice.html

vonkrum, Nov 1, 6:32pm
Flower-child 01 this could be it.Never new the other ingredients but sounds like the type of ingredients.Thanks will give it a go.

nanasee1, Nov 1, 8:03pm
A very old family recipe - peppermint hedgehogs
4 oz butter (120g)
1 cup sugar
1 rounded tablespoon cocoa
1 packet plain sweet biscuits - crumbed
1/2 c chopped walnuts (optional)
1 egg
1 pack oddfellow peppermints crushed
Heat butter, sugar & cocoa until melted together. Add beaten egg & quickly stir together. Add biscuits, nuts & peppermints. Mix together well and press into a greased (or lined) swiss roll pan. Ice with chocolate icing or melted chocolate. Cut into small pieces. The flavour improves if it is kept in the fridge for a week before using, the peppermints soften & the flavour goes through the slice.

flower-child01, Nov 1, 9:03pm
Oddly I have never heard of it before, curiosity got me googling. Do the oddfellows stay solid or do they go soft. I might just give it a go myself.

nanasee1, Nov 2, 1:00am
flower-child the peppermints are hard initially but if you store the slice for a few days to a week the peppermints soften & the flavour mellows

vonkrum, Dec 12, 9:25pm
gardie, I am planning on putting a recipe book together for my 3 kids.18, 16, and 9.One has moved out and training to be a chef.Just trying to work out in my head how I will go about it to make it a special book.THinking of incorporating pictures and scrapbooking effects. Have made for my christmas recipes a patchwork cover to slip over a folder for our family.