Anyone got a good dhal recipe they can share?

bev00, Mar 17, 10:49am
Channa Dhal with Raisins

200g yellow split peas, washed
30g butter
6 cardamom pods – seeds only
2 chillies
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp garam masala
½ tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp salt
2 tab raisins
2 tab desiccated coconut

Simmer channa in water 60 min until just tender. Leave in saucepan.

Fry butter, cardamom, chillies, cinnamon, cumin 2 – 3 min.
Add tumeric, garam masala, chilli flakes, salt. Stir 1 min.
Add raisins, coconut, stir 1 min.

Add mixture to channa, swirl pan with 1c water and add. Simmer 1 min.

Serve cool.

Quotedavidt4 (204 )12:07 pm, Sat

dibble35, Oct 29, 5:27am
I just made channa dhal from a recipe from bin inn and its not that great, any one got a good recipe out there! Thanks

dibble35, Oct 29, 6:23pm
I guess not. I ended up mixing it with some left over butter chicken sauce,and it was a lot better. But must be some nice dhal out there somewhere,

davidt4, Oct 29, 9:02pm
Use the box on the left to do a search for dhal,You will find some recipes, even over the past month.

village.green, Oct 30, 12:00am
Yes I cooked it last night from Simon Holst book I have. It's a regular in our house as one of our vegetarian cheap meal nights and only takes half and hour to cook.

This makes 4 generous servings with rice.
1 Tbs oil
1 large onion diced
1-2 cloves garlic chopped
1 large bay leaf
1 tsp minced red chilli or powder (less if you want it mild)
2 teaspoons each: curry powder and turmeric
2 teaspoons each: mustard and cumin seeds
1 cup split red lentils
2 cups water
2 teaspoons instant veg or chicken stock powder
2 Tbs chopped fresh coriander
1/2 - 1 tsp salt

Heat oil in pan, add onion and garlic and cook until onion softened and clear. Add bay leaf, and all the spices and stir fry 1-2 mins.
Stir in lentils water and stock. Bring mixture to the boil and reduce heat to gentle simmer and cook until lentils soft about 20-25 mins.
Remove bay leaf, then add salt and coriander and stir.

taurus2005, Oct 30, 2:20am
Try this, authentic Gujarati Channa dhal.
1 cup Channa dhal, washed and soaked for a few hours.Boil with 2 cups of water, 1/2 chopped onion and a couple of pinches baking soda.This will tend to boil over so keep an eye on it.Boil till dhal is soft, mushy is nice.Add tsp ground coriander, 1/2 tsp minced garlic, 1/2 tsp fresh minced ginger, 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 1/4 tsp tumeric, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 chopped tomatos, 1/4 tsp sugar.Heat a dessertspoon of oil (any but not olive) in a little pan, add black mustard seed, put lid on as these will pop.Add to dhal carefully.Add more water if you need extra sauce.This is nice withrotis, pitta bread or even toast. Extra salt, chilli can be added, tomatoes can be swapped for puree or canned tomatoes.

dibble35, Oct 30, 5:39am
ohhh, thank you both so much, will try both of these recipes soon, as i have both red lentils and channa dhal in the cupboard, yay. My nephew is loving Indian food at the moment, so i texted him last night and told him I had made Channa dhal, butter chicken and homemade chapatis. he was so jealous

nauru, Oct 31, 3:42am
The Simon Holst recipe above is very good.I sometimes add about a cup of chopped mixed veges either fresh or frozen and some chickpeas to mine for a change.It's also good with a little coconut cream added just before serving.