shallot question

cabbagefan, Apr 19, 10:57pm
got a bag of shallots super cheap, but wont be able to use them all before they go soft. . if i prepared them ready for use and stored them in oil for use later would that work? ? thanks

cookessentials, Apr 20, 12:38am
Shallot Storage
Most cooks buy only as many shallots as they will need for a particular recipe, but if you have an abundance of shallots, store them as you would any allium in a cool, dry, dark place with plenty of air circulation. Knot them in clean pantyhose, hang from the ceiling in a dry garage, cellar or closet, and they can last up to 2 months. Or store in a hanging metal mesh basket. If they sprout, you can still use them. Remove the bitter green sprouts if you don't want a strong onion flavor. Many cooks choose to include the sprouts and use them much like chives.

Shallots may be chopped and frozen up to 3 months. However, when thawed, they will have the texture of a lightly sauteed shallot, so do not expect any crunch. This may actually be a time-saver in many recipes

beaumonde, Apr 20, 10:04am
oh yummy, make them into a shallot jam to put on bread with cheese or for tarts.
it won't last long and you will be looking for more.

1 kg of shallots peeled
75ml red wine vinegar
650 ml cab sav, grenach or sangiovese
2 t sugar
little salt
Heat a wide pan so all the shallots touch the bottom.
Add wine and vinegar, little salt
Turn up the heat till it simmers then bring the heat down to the most gentle heat and let them set for 1 and 1/4 hours turning them only once.
just before the end sprinkle with sugar.
Cook a little more
they should come out glazed.
You can heat them a little before eating them with a little cheese and crusty bread... Yum

beaumonde, Apr 20, 10:05am
They is a great pickle recipe around too, I will see if I can dig it out

elliehen, Apr 20, 10:13am
Boiled shallots in a white sauce on toast...

rog.e, Apr 20, 10:20am
Plant some by dividing them into singles and poke a little way into a garden bed.

Harvest next season as big clumps, much miltiplied in number.
V

jasongroves, Apr 20, 2:07pm
Yep, nows a great time to be planting shallots:)
If you do, they should be ready to harvest by around July or August.

carolyn20, Apr 20, 8:32pm
I buy the bags also as that's the only way the supermarket seem to sell them. I keep them at the bottom of my pantry and they last for ages. Gently saute a few in some butter (with the lid on the pot) season and mix this through small boiled potatoes is an easy way to use them.

juliewn, Feb 22, 3:51pm
Thanks for sharing your recipe Beaumonde. . it sounds delicious. .

I planted shallots last year - I'm loving being able to have them to use straight from the garden. . and highly recommend growing them. .