Okay so Canola oil is not a goodie to use so what

Page 1 / 2
cookiebarrel, Oct 15, 6:17am
can I use in my deep fryer.It seems rice bran oil is also not produced in the best of ways so I am wondering what do I use.Where does Sunflower oil stand in the 'how it is produced' line-up.Or do I do as #1 son suggests, still use the canola oil as we only have chips done in it once a week and everything we do or eat has a risk involved so something is going to kill us one day no matter what we do.

kay141, Oct 15, 6:23am
You have asked for many and varied answers depending on what people believe. I don't deep fry but I use canola sometimes for shallow frying, usually with butter. I know some oils will not stand up to the high heats required. Your own research would be best.

buzzy110, Oct 15, 6:28am
Lard is brilliant for hot fat cooking. It is among the most saturated of fats and therefore is the most stable at high heat. Despite all of the furore about eating vegetable oils, lard, duck fat, dripping and other saturated fats are good for you.

So if you are prepared to live by the theory that "everything we do or eat has a risk involved so something is going to kill us one day no matter what we do" and you only have it once a week anyway, then my money is on lard. At least it will be doing you much less damage than canola oil.

buzzy110, Oct 15, 6:36am
Canola oil is a polyunsaturated fat (PUF). "When PUFs are heated and when they are exposed to oxygen or sunlight, they create free radicals. These are unstable molecules that can attack healthy cells and lead to cancer and heart disease. Free radicals can also accelerate the aging process, cause complications with diabetes and contribute to a range of other disorders."

bedazzledjewels, Oct 15, 6:57am
Lard

uli, Oct 15, 8:21am
I do not use a deep fryer.

I use organic virgin coconut oil for frying in a fry pan though.

So for chips I would just peel spuds, cut into wedges and then bake in the oven with a bit of coconut oil mixed through and some pepper and herbs for flavouring.

Give it a try.

vmax2, Oct 15, 8:41am
Or you could bake chips in oven with dripping and butter with pepper and salt added.

cookiebarrel, Oct 15, 9:15am
Thanks for all your advice.Buzzy110 and bedazzledjewels is lard the one made from pork fat, and dripping is from beef.well usually I think that is how it goes!

cookiebarrel, Oct 15, 9:16am
Oh and how often would you have to replace the lard!

davidt4, Oct 15, 8:47pm
That's right.

pericles, Oct 15, 8:49pm
don't know if it's good for you, but I use chefade

davidt4, Oct 15, 10:57pm
Chefade is hydrogenated vegetable fat, and no, it is not good for you.

village.green, Oct 15, 11:27pm
Lard, tallow, duck or coconut oil. Don't know how many times you can use but slow to oxidise unlike polyunsaturated ones.

I've never used canola and never will. Those oils are not good for you in any way or form.
I think there is a takeaway shop in Wanganui that cooks their chips in beef fat as they have the best flavour.

terachaos, Oct 15, 11:38pm
What about peanut oil! Interested to know.

davidt4, Oct 16, 12:58am
Although peanuts are legumes rather than seeds, peanut oil has the same drawbacks as seed oils.It oxidises quickly and its fatty acids are mainly Omega-6, with little or no Omega-3.

I don't do any deep frying these days, but if I did I would use lard.

cookiebarrel, Oct 16, 2:59am
Once again thanks for you nice, honest in-puts.#1 son bought the deep fryer so that he could make his own chips which aremaybe a once a week treat.Useing the oven is out for him, but he can use the deep fryer so he can do his own chips and frees me from the task.yipee!We just wanted to make sure we could do it in a less 'unhealthy' way.

karenz, Oct 16, 5:29am
Grapeseed oil!It is available in supermarkets and not all that expensive.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/295154-how-to-deep-fry-with-grape-seed-oil/
Coconut oil is very expensive.

knowsley, Oct 16, 6:56am
I use peanut oil. Nothing wrong with actually enjoying your food and not having to worry about the rants of the nay-sayers. It isn't as if you are drinking the stuff by the gallon.

korbo, Oct 16, 8:06am
my late mum and i have used chefade for donkey years, and so far, havent experienced bad health.maybe once a month i use it for chips .

tommydog, Oct 16, 8:11am
just do them in the oven in olive oil taste divine.Add a little rock salt I use Agria potatoes they are the best chippers and bakers and mashers and are really inexpensive (as far as potatoes go).

uli, Oct 17, 5:51am
So are you saying a seed oil is better than coconut oil because it is cheaper!

rivercottage1, Oct 17, 6:24am
i think if you want to use the deep fryer then coconut oil would be the best option.

buzzy110, Oct 17, 7:24am
Just a small reminder here. The processed coconut oil that comes in long plastic bottles is truly disgusting stuff. If you want to use coconut oil, which is indeed very expensive then I suggest deodorised coconut oil.

This is not my recommendation though. I still stand by lard or dripping.

ace441, Oct 17, 10:40am
Grape seed oil has a moderately high smoke point of approximately 216 °C (421 °F). As a result, it is better suited than several other cooking oils for high temperature cooking and can be safely used to cook at moderate temperatures during stir-frying, sautéing, or deep-frying. Due to its clean, light taste, and high polyunsaturated fat content, it is also used as an ingredient in salad dressings and mayonnaise and as a base for oil infusions of garlic, rosemary, or other herbs or spices. It also is sprayed on raisins to help them retain their flavor.

motorbo, Oct 17, 12:29pm
i never found coconut oil any good for frying.most of these other oils are no better for you than canola.rather its whom you ask as to the answer you will get .if i was you i would do my own research as stated above