Tinned Creamed Corn

kabbo, Sep 16, 3:16am
Which one do you prefer!
I have always bought the Watties one, but lately have found it to be very "bittsey".a lot of cream/sauce and not a lot of corn.

Fanx.

245sam, Sep 16, 3:19am
kabbo, have you actually checked the ingredients list on the can label!
I settled for Wattie's cream-style corn after comparing the different brands and their stated actual corn content.:-))

kabbo, Sep 16, 3:21am
hi sam.no - have never checked the labels. :)
so you reckon the watties one is best after trying others.!

letitia, Sep 16, 3:21am
Yes, it's not as good as it used to be.It's the same with baked beans & spaghetti - whatever brand - less beans/spag in the tin & more liquid, and tin not as full - just another way of cutting costs.I haven't yet tried any other brands of creamed corn though so will be interested to see if there's a better option.

carlosjackal, Sep 16, 3:37am
Oak is the only other brand that I've tried and I didn't like the taste at all - I much perfer Watties cream style corn and since the time I tried Oak which was a long time ago, I've had no interest in trying any other brands.

wildflower, Sep 16, 3:44am
Watties def have higher percentage of corn, same with most of the fruit and canned veg over other brands.

245sam, Sep 16, 3:53am
kabbo, I remember there being previous discussion here on this MB re cream-style/creamed corn so when we were needing to make our adult daughter's fav. (Chicken and Corn Soup), she, DH and I checked all other brands at Pns and Wattie's definitely came out tops - even though it was by no means the cheapest we opted for the can of corn that was principally corn and that was definitely Wattie's.I don't recall if I have ever done the same check at Countdown but I'll try to remember to do so next time I'm there - just as a matter of curiosity.:-))

letitia, Sep 16, 5:38am
Guess I'll stick with Watties then - it does taste good - just a bit less in the can than there used to be.

cookiebarrel, Sep 16, 8:12am
I found the same problem as OP, so now I just add a few more frozen corn kernels to the tin when heating or using in mix.Seems to work.

hotstuff111, Sep 16, 8:14am
i brought countdown just corn on it own in tin was only $1 thouhgt id try that instead of cream corn.

ruby19, Sep 16, 9:00pm
Watties here as well. I generally use creamed corn to make corn and potato chowder, and I add a cup of frozen corn to bulk it up.