Belgian Slice

ribzuba, Sep 17, 5:06am
I am visiting my grandmother for the last time soon and really want to make her Belgian slice, which she always made for me when I was younger as it was my favourite.I don't have any NZ style cook books though so don't have a recipe for this and I really want it to be perfect.Does anyone have an amazing recipe to share! TIA

52many, Sep 17, 6:25am
Type in Belgian Slice over there <<<<<<<&l-
t;< there is a good one!

babytears, Sep 17, 6:52am
or as some spell it. Belgium

pam.delilah, Sep 17, 6:58am
Belgium Slice
125grams butter;
125grams sugar;
250grams flour;
1 egg;
1tsp Baking Powder;
2tsp cinnamon;
1tbsp golden syrup;
1tsp mixed spice
Cream butter and sugar, add egg and golden syrup the dry ingredients.
Put 1/2 mixture in sponge roll tin, spread with raspberry jam then put other 1/2 on top. Bake at 180C for 20mins.
Ice with pink icing.

littleblackhen, Sep 19, 9:45am
Tried this recipe yesterday,it's fantastic
,thanks pam.delilah.I don't suppose you also have the recipe for belguim biscuits!

pam.delilah, Sep 20, 6:34am
Belgium Biscuits
Makes 10-12 double layer biscuits

125 g (1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons) butter, softened
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon cocoa
Icing
3/4 to 1 cup icing sugar
1/4 tsp raspberry or vanilla essence
a few drops of red food colouring
water
Filling
1/2 cup raspberry jam, approximately
Pink sugar
2 tablespoons white sugar
a little pink food colouring
Preheat oven to 180c/350FCream butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat well. Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, mixed spice, and cocoa on top of the bowl and then mix into combine and make a firm dough.
On a lightly floured surface roll the dough out to 3 mm thick. Cut out rounds using a 6.5cm cutter. It does sort of fall apart as this is a very short biscuit but keep going, you will get there (just make sure that the surface is lightly floured all over so that you can pick these up with a lightly floured palette knife easily. Re-roll scraps – it may seem more mottled and harder to roll together but don’t worry you can use this half of the dough for the bottom halves.
3. Bake at 180 C (350F) for 15 minutes or until cooked. When cold, ice the more attractive looking half of the biscuits. Spread the less attractive biscuits with raspberry jam and place iced biscuits on top. Sprinkle with pink sugar before icing fully sets.
Icing
4. Mix icing sugar with flavouring and colouring. Add sufficient water to make a pink icing of spreading consistency.
Pink Sugar
To make pink sugar, place sugar in a ziplock bag and add a tiny amount of food colouring. Seal the bag tightly and shake the sugar and massage it with your fingers so that the colouring is evenly spread

littleblackhen, Sep 21, 10:53am
Thank you,have been wanting to try my hand at these.