Calling all budget-beating bakers

medicina, Sep 24, 8:21am
Where are the best buys for baking ingredients!I have 1.28/kg plain flour and 1.70/kg white sugar at Riccaton Pak n Save.Anyone else have super savings on baking ingredients to share!

supercook, Sep 24, 9:13am
I buy the 1kg bags of Castor Sugar, Icing sugar and Brown sugar I buy Pam's but wait till they are on special. Cheaper than buying the smaller bags.

medicina, Sep 24, 9:14am
What's a good price!I'm trying to get a handle on what is truely a special and what's just an individual store knocking 5c off a very middle of the road price.

charlieb2, Sep 24, 11:27am
As I said in one of your other threads, pam cocoa. awesome!

I always compare the price per 100g on the price ticket.Lets face it, sugar is sugar. so just buy the cheapest.

lythande1, Sep 24, 8:02pm
$25 25kg flour and mybreadmix.co.nz

lilyfield, Sep 24, 8:58pm
20 kilo flour at gilmores

lilyfield, Sep 24, 8:58pm
And cut sugar down to 2/3 won't affect the recipe

medicina, Sep 24, 10:53pm
Gilmours --ok, I'll check that out.
Thanks for the other suggestions too!
Does anyone know what's a good price per 100g (or kg) on basic ingredients.
So far best i've got is 1.28/kg flour, 1.70/kg sugar, 0.59/100g butter.

Edit to put per kg in right places.

supercook, Sep 25, 1:47am
What about taking a notebook to supermarket and write down the prices and take into account that some maybe on special some weeks. New World have baking week specials from time to time good time to stock up.

duckmoon, Sep 25, 7:03am
For s while I kept a notebook of prices at different supermarkets/stores.so I knew what was truly a good price. Not just "oh 50 c off", rather it is $1 cheaper every day at a different store

lilyfield, Sep 25, 7:24am
Consider marg for baking

very_hotpants, Sep 25, 9:59am
I use spread for baking and I think it works better as its softer.
I do GF baking and buying the flours in bulk and mixing them saves heaps.

jasandlis, Sep 25, 6:51pm
we buy pretty much all baking ingredients in bulk from moore wilsons, best price i can find on flour/sugar/golden syrup/yeast/baking powder/choc chips/peanuts etc - also bulk buy alot of our cleaning product from there.
the trick is having good storage containers to keep it in.

lilyfield, Sep 25, 7:07pm
I use paint buckets , easy to get hold off, easy to clean, good tight lids on them. For flour, sugar , and packets of nuts and sultanas. Bulk buy when on a good special . You got to have money to be able to save.

vinee, Sep 25, 8:14pm
Bigger bulk packets aren't always cheaper!
I got 2 small bags of flour yesterday as they were cheaper (per kg) than buying a big sack of flour. Sugar is often cheaper per kg in smaller bags too.
Those bulk places can be quite dear sometimes - you have to check! I used to get one kind of flour from Moore Wilsons, everything else was dearer - cleaning products were expensive and the detergent was runnier and so not good value.
Being thrifty is time consuming, isn't it - you have to check the prices of everything, every time and go to different stores.
It's good how the supermarkets have that wee price per kg/100g or L on price tags now, that really helps.

grandma, Sep 25, 8:32pm
I agree with your comment about the price per kg/100g on price tags vinee - it does make a comparison choice much easier.

jasandlis, Sep 25, 8:55pm
Yes I agree, you have to "shop around" for the best deal, even within a shop! whats on special isn't always the cheapest either.
Those /100g - /kg signs make life so much easier on the brain!

lilyfield, Sep 25, 8:59pm
^ so true , got to be a mathematician sometimes.

supercook, Sep 25, 10:22pm
Brown sugar today 1 kg Pam's was $2.09 and Chelsea same was $3.09 !
Go figure which one I was buying $1.00 saving that's huge ! That was at New World.