Where to get a whole pig cooked?

vodzkaa, Sep 4, 7:39am
I am thinking of getting a whole pig done for my sons birthday, I had heard a while back that you could take a raw pig to some bakerys and they would cook it for you.anyone know where in Sth Auckland!

vodzkaa, Sep 4, 7:40am
x1
I know there are places where they supply and cook but there quotes were too high for my budget

245sam, Sep 4, 7:45am
vodzkaa, have you thought of hiring a spit roaster and cooking the pig yourselves!:-))

cairo03, Sep 4, 8:18am
Try the butcher next to baraka mechanics in papatoetoe (behind the armstrong locksmiths), I'm not sure what the name of the butcher is, but a friend got her pig cooked there a few years back through them.

focuson21, Sep 4, 8:21am
try some of the Chinese restaurants - think there's one in Otahuhu - a BBQ place!

vodzkaa, Sep 4, 8:35am
thanks for the tips, I will ask in paptoetoe, I know there are a few places in otahuhu, but I dont know where exactly :(and at the same time enquire on hiring a spit roaster and see what the difference in costs are.but anyone else who may be keen to offer ideas would be great! thanks in advance to you all!

valentino, Sep 4, 8:17pm
How big is the pig, another method is cooking via a big (at least a 6 burner) hooded BBQ, but not using the rotisserie as it could be a bit more heavier, and using a heavier rod or something similar like a metal tubing for example.

Simply remove the hotplates and just turn it by hand every so often and to have the burners going at a lower heat wise - possibly using only two at a time at various places at various times with the hood closed.

Hopes this makes sense.

Editing to add that this will be an attraction in itself, LOL. Also only if the pig is small enough to fit within.

Cheers.

purplegoanna, Sep 4, 10:32pm
i saw spit roasters for a very good price in bunnings yesterday in manukau.

goldgurl, Sep 5, 2:11am
x8
We get ours done at a bakery in mangere.on Idlewild Road!Or you can buy the pig (or supply them with your own) AND get it cooked at a Samoan catering company on Fresian Road (sp!) also in mangere.You are looking at $50+ (depending on the weight) for JUST the roasting :)I'd rather take it to a place like this to get it cooked cos you KNOW it will be fully cooked AND all that crackling.OMGawd lol.

carlosjackal, Sep 6, 9:05pm
Watch yesterday's Australia Materchef Ondemand.they cooked a whole pig over a flame - turning it continuously for about 4 hours.

iman007, Sep 6, 11:24pm
my 40th i had a tongan friend of mine do a whole pig,He sat there for about 3! hrs turning it and he used butter and pineapple juice to baste it as he cooked it, the crackling was to die for.Man that was the best ever pork i ever had,hmmmm thinks about doing it all over again!