Who remembers "The Kitchen" cafe Timaru - 1980's

seasiders, Sep 4, 10:17am
Loved this place! My mum would take me and we would have carrot cake. At first I refused to try "carrot" cake, thought it would taste of veges lol.
I wish someone would open a similar cafe in timaru - yummy healthy wholefoods like vege curries, pumpkin soup, interesting salads, wraps/pita breads, falafel etc. and of course wholemeal carrot cake with cream cheese icing!any takers! - there must be someone out there looking to open a business in timaz with a friendly warm atmosphere, great music and great healthy food we can eat and enjoy without feeling awful afterwards!there is nowhere like this here.

mackenzie2, Sep 4, 11:53pm
I remember it, it was great wasn't it, was really hard to get a seat sometimes, really busy, and yes I agree would be great to set up again

beebs, Sep 5, 2:21am
where was it!

denbru, Sep 5, 2:35am
Wasn't it down that small side street where the new ANZ bank is now!

mackenzie2, Sep 5, 6:16am
It was across the road from Cheng's Chinese Restaurant

holmsies, Sep 8, 5:36am
I was born and raised in Timmers.I would give my left arm for the recipe of the Date Cheesecake I used to get from The Kitchen.

unknowndisorder, Sep 8, 5:53am
try this one:
Stick Date Cheesecake with Caramel Fudge Sauce

100gm buttersnap biscuits, crushed
20gm butter, melted
375gm cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup caster sugar
1 t vanilla
1 egg

2 t plain flour
5 fresh dates, chopped
1 cup brown sugar
80 gm butter
1/3 cup cream

Combine biscuit crumbs and melted butter, press mix into base of a lined tin. Chill.

Beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Beat in egg and stir throgh flour and dates. pour filling onto base. Bake at 160 for 25 mins until just set. Cool in oven with door ajar. Chill.

Combine brown sugar, extra butter and cream in saucepan, stirring over low heat for 5 mins until thickened.

cappucino1 (109 )-
60; 2:35 pm, Fri 25 May #2

irenew, Sep 8, 9:04am
That carrot cake of theirs was to die for!I used to love going there when I lived in Timaru back in the 80s.

seasiders, Sep 10, 10:29am
Yum that date cheesecake recipe looks good!
I can still remember how that cafe smelt when you walked in the door! Total comfort!

seasiders, Sep 10, 10:31am
Are you thinking of Vienna Cafe! they had good cheescake and carrot cake too!