Budget healthy homemade meal plan 2 kids

Page 2 / 2
frances1266, Sep 7, 7:51pm
I will bump up the easy and tasty vegetarian thread, lots of reallycheap recipes there.

oooooowwwwww, Sep 7, 8:37pm
there is a thread in parenting with a recipe for weetbix slice, its cheap as to make and you cancut it up and freeze in portions. it uses 7 weetbix, 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 2 tablespoons cocoa, 180 gms butter and you bcan add coconut or sultanas to it as well, and best of all its yum!

oooooowwwwww, Sep 7, 8:37pm
oh and vanilla eSsence i think

karlandkellarni, Sep 7, 8:41pm
Pikelets are cheap to make, and go good in lunchboxes.You can make and freeze them.

gaspodetwd, Sep 8, 3:20am
I have slashed my food bill since carefully planning my meals. I now shop once a fortnight. I also treat it like a game and see how long I can make petrol last for, by not doing unnecessary trips, and making sure we eat up and don't throw food away.
Best cheap meals - jacket potato, with cheese or baked beans and a salad.
Homemade pizza - it makes mushrooms and ham go a really long way.
Roast chicken - does us two main meals ( a roast and leftovers in a pie) and then a soup (usually chicken and sweetcorn) with fresh bread for lunch or dinner. So it goes a long way!

buzzy110, Sep 8, 6:11am
Take a read of the Chorleywood method of breadmaking that is now used and you might want to rethink that belief.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/the-shocking-truth-about-bread-413156.html

"Flour, yeast, water and salt - a traditional loaf needs only four ingredients. So why are calcium propionate, amylase, chlorine dioxide and L-cysteine hydrochloride now crammed into our daily bread! Andrew Whitely, Britain's leading organic baker, reveals how our staple foodstuff was transformed into an industrial triumph, but a nutritional and culinary disaster."

"And now the safety of bakery enzymes has been radically challenged by the discovery that the enzyme transglutaminase, used to make dough stretchier in croissants and some breads, may turn part of the wheat protein toxic to people with a severe gluten intolerance."