Pop corn

bea2, Sep 3, 4:57am
Have never made it. how do you flavor it. Do I need a' maker' or just a common pot
any ideas welcome Thank you

angel404, Sep 3, 5:07am
Just put a bit of oil in a pot and a small handful of kernels. Cook over a medium heat with a secure lid. Once the pops are a few seconds in-between take it off the heat and leave to sit for a minute or two (in case theres any stragglers left to pop). You don't have to flavour it. I just use butter and salt to flavour mine.

theman6699, Sep 3, 6:31am
About how angel says.
I like to use 50/50 butter and oil to get that buttery flavor, but without the higher burning point of oil.On my stove element the temprature is about 3 and a quarter out of 5. I like to use a heavy based pot, and enough oil/butter to have the popcorn kernels almost deep fryingin there. (so about 50g and 50 ml butter/oil in a reasonably large pot on the big element, to about two to three fist-fulls of popcorn. I cover the bottom of the pot in almost a single layer.) I find it takes about 8 mins to go from cold element to popping. Give it a shake now and then while it pops to get the unpopped kernels to the bottom next to the heat.I set the lid off it a bit so the steam can escape otherwise I find the oil will spit a bit out the top of the pot. *but not so much of a gap that the kernels escape*Then when the popcorn has slowed down it's popping, I tip it into a heavy duty plastic bowl (too light and the kernels will melt it.) and sprinkle salt on, then mix/stir that through with a spoon.
It's better to take it off a bit soon and have un-popped kernels than too late and have burnt ones.

It does not taste like the stuff you make in the microwave. The stuff you make like that has stronger flavour and will leave a waxy coating on the roof of your mouth. This doesn't do that, but it still tastes really good. I've tried doing this in the microwave, and it's just results in half unpopped corn and usually some burnt bits. Not a good result over all. Hope this helps. It'll probably take you a few goes to get the real hang of it.

daisyhill, Sep 3, 6:37am
Just don't use a lightweight saucepan and let the popcorn all burn to the bottom of it! I am still terrified of doing that after it happened when I was a kid making popcorn and my mother nearly had my guts for garters.

Now I pop corn in my Le Creuset stainless steel pan and it works perfectly every time.

daisyhill, Sep 3, 6:38am
Oh, I don't "deep fry" mine though. I put in a single layer of kernels and a glug of oil that is just enough to coat them when it has heated and thinned.

bea2, Sep 4, 2:11am
I thank you all very much.I am a new chum, so appreciate your help.
Have just been told to sprinkle Raro powered fruit drink over and stir well !.
A Big THANK YOU.trying it tonight

sconz1, Sep 4, 3:08am
I put 2 tablespoons of the corn in a dry heavy based pan on a medinum gas ring and keep the pan mooving over the heat until all the corn is popped. So yummy it needs nothing on it! A very healthy snack.

angel404, Sep 4, 3:59am
WatDaFaq! I cant imagine that being nice (not to mention how unhealthy it would be!) lol. Good luck, Once you master it, its an awesome snack :)

frances1266, Sep 4, 4:11am
You can buy nutritional yeast flakes at the Bin Inn which are nice crumbled on popcorn or you can buy it in a packet at Health Food shops which is more expensive but I prefer the flavour of this one.

daisyhill, Sep 4, 11:43am
Not sure about sprinkling Raro on popcorn! Sounds a bit gross. But icing sugar on it is nice instead of salt, or you could use butter with or without salt, or a dusting of cayenne pepper. All of those are good!