Your favourite thing to bake

rainrain1, Jun 17, 9:50pm
in a hurry
I would have to say sugar buns

kirmag, Jun 17, 9:55pm
Favourite Biscuits - aka Hokey Pokey Biscuits.

elliehen, Jun 17, 10:09pm
In a hurry!Lemon muffins.

bumblebee13, Jun 17, 10:09pm
ginger crunch

rainrain1, Jun 17, 10:30pm
thanks I was wanting ideas this morning for a change, they all sound good

elliehen, Jun 17, 10:45pm
This is the one I use, from Alison Holst.It looks long-winded below, but that's just for radio ;)They're quick and good to split while warm with lemon honey.Very lemony, with a crunchy top.

Chef: Dame Alison Holst as heard on Afternoons Saturday 11 October 2008

Tags: baking, lemon, muffins

Muffins are not as rich as cupcakes and are easier and less fuss to mix and bake. Best served warm, they may be refrigerated for several days, or frozen and reheated when required. Serve these muffins with tea or coffee, added them to packed lunches, or warm and split them, and serve with berries and cream or yoghurt, for dessert.

Un-dissolved sugar and citrus juice are used to coat the just-cooked muffins, and give them a crunchy texture and a lovely tangy citrus flavour.
For 12 regular muffins or 24 mini-muffins:
Turn the oven to 200 C with a rack in the middle of the oven
Ingredients

Mix together in a bowl, big enough to hold all the ingredients
2 cups self-raising flour
3/4 cup sugar

Measure the next four ingredients into a small bowl, then mix them together.
75g butter, melted (or 50g butter + 2 Tbsp canola oil, or 5 Tbsp oil)
1 cup milk
1 egg, preferably size 7
grated rind of 2 lemons or 1 lemon and 1 other citrus fruit.
Method

Tip the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and fold them together, preferably with a flat bladed stirrer. Mix just until the flour is dampened but NOT until the mixture is smooth.

Using two spoons, put spoons of mixture into 12 regular muffin pans or 24 mini-muffin pans coated with non-stick spray or rubbed with soft butter.

Bake for about 10 minutes, until lightly browned. While muffins cook, put
About 1/4 cup lemon juice (or lemon and other juice) in a small bowl. Have 1/4 cup of sugar ready to add to the juice after the muffins come out of the oven.

If the muffins do not come out of the tins easily while they are very hot, leave them to stand for a minute of two, then twist gently and lift them out. Dip the top half of each muffin into the juice and sugar mixture, and turn it slightly before lifting it onto a rack. If there is still some juice left, re-dip the muffins or brush the mixture onto the muffins.(To freeze muffins, put two in each plastic bag, remove excess air and seal tightly).

lodgelocum, Jun 17, 11:16pm
Jam drops are really simple and quick.

rainrain1, Jun 17, 11:23pm
thanks for the recipe, timed perfectly as I have been given some lemons and need to use them up :-)

kinna54, Jun 18, 3:14am
anything with a shortcake base that I can make in the whizz, when hands are bad. Ginger crunch is a goodie.
My all time favourite thing to bake tho, is Louise cake, but that has to be done on a "good hands" day.
I also luv shortbread, and have found my technique on that has improved, cos I can't be heavy handed now.

buzzy110, Jun 18, 3:19am
Toast.

nzbrat, Jun 18, 3:53am
coffee cake with chocolate ganache creme.yummo

rainrain1, Jun 18, 9:09pm
too hard basket

taurus2005, Jun 18, 10:20pm
Yep, good at this, got the recipe in my head.

nainmary, Jun 19, 8:21am
You must have a fool proof recipe, love them but have hard dry hard ones or flat that are not too bad apart from being too flat. Would love your recipe and any hints PLEASE.

sniper03, Jun 19, 9:19am
afghan slice

southerngurl, Jun 19, 10:01am
i've had a whirl at muffins lately, Apple and Cinnamon, and todays attempt was Dark choc drops w/ Banana.

rainrain1, Jun 19, 8:06pm
funny you should say that, my sister and I made them from this same recipe the other day, she said hers were dry,but mine were ok I thought.They do need to be eaten fairly smartly as they are not good keepers. Here it is, an old family recipe

Sugar Buns

4ozs butter
4 oz sugar
2 eggs
2 c flour
1/4 c milk
lge t BP
3/4 c sultanas
pinch of salt
Usual method

Large dessert spoonfuls on to tray, sprinkle with sugar, (bake 20 mins depending on your oven) mod oven. The recipe makes 12 large buns, take care not to overcook them.

rainrain1, Jun 19, 8:09pm
do you just make the usual afghan biscuitrecipe for this!

kokopuff, Jun 19, 8:23pm
Sounds nice recipe please.

sniper03, Jun 19, 8:59pm
Afghan Slice
125 gr butter
2 tablespoons Golden Syrup
1 cup Cornflakes
1/2 cup rolled oats,I use coconut instead.
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp Baking Power
1/4 cup Cocoa
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp Vanilla essence

Melt butter in a large pot ,add rest of ingredients and.
mix well, Press lightly in a lined swiss roll tin.
Bake at 180 degrees for about 20 mins.