Batter Recipe!

tortenz, Jun 22, 12:31am
I've been thinking about hot dogs lately, I haven't managed to have a good one since I was a kid!It's to do with the batter, when I was younger it was lumpy, wrinkly batter. now all I can find is the smooth, thick batter!Blerk!Like the ones you get on a stick from food caravans, etc.

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for a good batter that I can use to make my own hotdogs!(Like on this page: http://www.goldengoose.co.nz/classic_product_range.html)

beaker59, Jun 22, 12:37am
pour a beer into a bowl add flour while stirring until you get the consistency you want.

tortenz, Jun 22, 12:41am
Not quite what I'm looking for unfortunately. :(

queenmaeb, Jun 22, 1:00am
x1
4 saveloys
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1 cup self-raising flour
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
wooden iceblock sticks
oil for frying
tongs

Heat about 7mm of oil in a frypan, ensuring you turn pan handle to back of stove.

While oil heats slowly, run a sharp knife along savaloys. Peel off the skins. Slice each savaloy diagonally in 5 or 6 slices using a serrated knife. Push iceblock sticks in, so they look like lollipops, and will lie flat.

Put the egg and milk in a bowl and beat with a fork until evenly mixed. Sift flour, curry, paprika and salt into the bowl. Stir in but don't overmix.

Check oil is hot by dropping in some batter. It should brown in a minute.

Tilt the bowl and turn the hot dog in batter so all the savaloy is covered.Using tongs, carefully place hot dogs in the pan. TAKE CARE NOT TO SPLASH. When bottom is golden turn over, using tongs to hold each side.

When golden, lift onto paper towel. Serve hot, dipped in tomato sauce.

pericles, Jun 22, 1:02am
Beer Battered Fish Fillets
Before you start, drink one beer to check for quality. Good, isn’t it! Now go ahead.

Ingredients

1 case beer
1 cups flour
2 large eggs
1 onion
salt and pepper
fish
deep fryer
oil

Method

Get a shallow bowl, fork, salt, pepper, etc. Drink another beer. It must be just right. To be sure beer is of the highest quality, drink another beer as fast as you can. Repeat.

With fork, mix flour in a large fluffy bowl. Add 1 seaspoon of satl and imx again. Meanwhile, make sure that the beer is of the finest quality– drink another one. Add 2 arge leggs, 2 pinchers of epperp and mix till high. If yeg golk gets stuck in fork, just scrape it loose with a drewscriver. Drink another beer, checking for tonscisticity.

Next sift 3 cups of pepper or salt (it really doesn’t matter which). Drink antoher reeb. Sift 1/2. Fold in chopped oninions and one babblespoon of bree, or whatever liquid you can find if you don’t want to waste beer. Wix mell. Have another beeber.

Pour oil in turn and fry deep fater to higher. Dump ifsh into miexd tabber. Now dropped fillettettes into feep dat rfyer and kooc. Drink the rest of the beer, plug unfry ther and bo to ged.

queenmaeb, Jun 22, 1:03am
Thats an old Alison Holst recipe. Another one I've used has 4 TBs self raising flour, 1 large Tbs custard powder and mix with milk.
Dip savs in seasoned flour then in batter and fry.

tortenz, Jun 22, 1:11am
It's definitely not beer batter, and I doubt it had any seasoning in it.Interesting with the custard powder in your second one queenmaeb.Any comment on the texture!I remember them being crisp, but not overly crunchy (definitely not like fish batter).

tortenz, Jun 22, 6:31am
Any other recipes!

elliehen, Jun 22, 11:09am
Maybe you could try an original American corn dog batter!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/a-plus-fair-corn-dogs/

heathermay1, Jun 23, 3:12am
PERICLESI LOVE YOUR SENSE OF HUMOUR

kara101, Jun 23, 3:25am
i saw someone do shredded potato squeezed out then wrapped around a floured saveloy and deep fryed. on tv think it was rachel ray you could check her website out. for the recipie

wayne472, Jun 23, 8:24am

amasser, Jun 24, 12:43am
Flour, water and colouring. A lighter batter can be made with cornflour.

tortenz, Jun 25, 5:42am
Incase anyone is interested in future - I did some experimenting over the weekend and the batter I was looking for was most like one I made with flour, egg and milk. Egg based batters are the ones that exonerating 'wrinkly', which is what I was looking for