COOK'S OUT THERE, CONVINCE MY HUBBY.

westward1, Jun 27, 10:43pm
Our power went off, everything in the freezer was defrosted, I insisted on turfing everything. However, my hubby refuses to toss 4 pizza's that were in there. It's an old wives tale, not being able to refreeze thawed food, according to hubby. I am not eating those pizza's, and he will. So I need someone to explain to him, just how dangerous it is. He might listen to you.hopefully. Thank you, in advance

charlieb2, Jun 27, 10:49pm
meh. let him get on with it, he'll only do it once if they are 'off'.

nfh1, Jun 27, 10:51pm
Yep and you will save on all the food he would normally eat over the next few days as he will feel too bad to eat anything.

Although - that saving may be offset by a visit to the GP.

kirmag, Jun 27, 10:56pm
what's on the pizzas!

I'd do what your hubby was doing as long as they were just defrosted and not warm.I've got a strong guts tho.And if there was real chicken on there then I wouldn't.

susieq9, Jun 27, 11:03pm
If in doubt, throw it out. (While he is not looking). I wouldn't take the chance.

rainrain1, Jun 27, 11:09pm
Crikey how long was your power off for!It usually takes quite a number of days before things in your freezer start to thaw

dezzie, Jun 27, 11:14pm
Freezers will easy last 48 hours as long as people don't muck about opening them etc, well chest freezers anyway, not sure about vertical.

245sam, Jun 27, 11:34pm
My thoughts too rainrain1.Growing up in a rural area where the power went off on numerous occasions over the years I was taught to keep both the refrigerator and freezer closed unless really necessary to open them and in the case of the freezer, it's best to keep a more full than partially full freezer then all the contents together keep frozen for "quite a number of days" before they even start to thaw, thus avoiding wastage, then the idea is to use first the most thawed items - the last to thaw would be any bigger joints of meat.Rather than discard everything a better idea is to cook those that are just or almost thawed, then refreeze the cooked products, and unless the power had been off for a very long time much of the food should have been ok due to not being fully thawed.

Without knowing what's on the pizzas and how long they have been thawed I can't give a definitive answer re the wisdom of eating those pizzas but if they are anything like only marginally safe and your DH chooses to eat them then gets food poisoning I can assure you that he will only do it once!My DH has had food poisoning (not from my cooking!) - he needed our GP's help to stop the horrible diarrhoea.:-))

lx4000, Jun 27, 11:38pm
if still cold, but defrosted, cook stews, meatloaf, minces etc them refreeze once cooked!

horizons_, Jun 28, 1:08am
+1. Don"t waste it all!

queenmaeb, Jun 28, 1:20am
If it was simply defrosted then just cook it. Chicken - yep I'd chuck raw chicken but things like nuggets I'd cook.

I've lived without power in the country for a week at a time and the chest freezer never defrost. I take it yours was one of those tiny fridge/freezer combos.

westward1, Jun 28, 1:32am
Thank you all, he wants his pizza tonight, they are a 2 cheese, tom paste and olives, no meat, thank goodness. So he can have his pizza tonight, and I hope like hell he's not sick. After saying that, it annoys me that he is prepared to take a risk with his health. We live in the tropics, so maybe thats the reason so much defrosted so quickly. I cooked all the defrosted vege's fish etc for the dog, so it wasn't wasted.