Grandma's Marrow and Ginger Jam

wasgonna, Jul 3, 12:06am
Now here's something different from an old cookbook for all you jammers out there.

1.5kg marrow
1 large lemon
salt
1.5kg sugar
125g crystallised ginger

(1) Peel marrow and take out seed pith. Cut into fairly small cubes. Place in bowl and cover with the sugar and allow to stand for 12 hours.
(2) Tip into saucepan and add juice of lemon and ginger cut into small pieces.
(3) Boil together for 20 minutes or so until marrow is transparent.
(4) Pot up as usual.

No guarantees . I've never made it.

sarahb5, Jul 3, 12:09am
I made that when I was at school and dad had a glut of marrow - it's actually quite delicious

geldof, Jul 3, 12:14am
I made it and it wasn't successful. Or rather my family didn't like it.
I have it in the freezer and will mix it with apples in pies and crumbles.

terraalba, Jul 4, 12:00am
I've made this too and I liked it. What I'd like also is a recipe for lemon and melon jam. I recall that came in tins and we got it on our table at boarding school.

cgvl, Jul 4, 3:07am
the lemon and melon one uses a pie melon, don't know how hard or easy they are to get. It is nice but haven't had for many years

auburn4, Jul 4, 11:32am
cvgl, I have 40+ pie melon stored for the winter. They are all over 5kg in weight. If anyone is going your way I'll send a couple down.

cgvl, Jul 4, 11:05pm
thanks auburn4 yeah well I did try to get the old one to come and help me get house ready for selling but she reckoned she'd be no good at seeing the dirt lol.
Hoping to come visit before we move.

auburn4, Jul 5, 9:35am
I'm going to have to quiz the old one and find out what she hasn't told me. Grrrrrrrrr

juliewn, Jul 5, 9:59am
Here y'are - use just lemons if preferred:

One favourite is from an older Edmonds book. it's in imperial measurements.
Boil 5 lbs sugar and 1 3/4 pints water together for ten minutes.
While that's boiling, remove skin and pips from 4 1/2 lbs Pie Melon and cut into small dice. or process into small pieces.
Slice 2 oranges or lemons thinly.
Add the melon, oranges or lemons and 1/2 tsp citric acid to the syrup.
Bring back to the boil and boil 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Test and cook further if needed to reach setting point.
Pour into jars and enjoy.
ps. The citric acid helps with setting.

guest, Jan 12, 8:03am
I found myself nodding my noggin all the way thguroh.

guest, Jan 13, 5:51pm
I simply had to thank you so much all over again. I am not sure the tnighs that I might have gone through without the entire aspects documented by you about such area. It previously was a very frustrating dilemma in my circumstances, but coming across a new well-written form you resolved it made me to weep over happiness. I'm just happy for this work and expect you realize what a powerful job you are always accomplishing teaching many people via your blog post. I'm certain you have never met all of us.