Spend $400 @ Countdown, save 50c litre on fuel?

Page 3 / 4
aktow, Jul 14, 3:14pm
try this,,recordevery thing you buy like the price of the goods,, the brand and size,, writedown the costs of fresh vegetables,, the meat and fish etc,,
then on the big fuel discount giveaways dayscheck out what you are paying for the same goods.

we did and on all those days we found most of what we bought had gone up,,fresh veg was over %50 higher

kuaka, Jul 14, 9:43pm
I only bought a cabbage and parsnips yesterday which were on special, and corned beef which was also on special, albeit 50c a kg more than it was last time I bought it on special.Other than that, most of the stuff I bought was on special at the usual special price.I stocked up well on hubby's beer which was also on special.

wheelz, Jul 14, 9:53pm
What an idiotic thing to say.obviously uninformed !

norse_westie, Jul 14, 10:26pm
I did that religiously for six months while on a very very tight budget. I did not find any difference at all at Pak and Save. I couldn't afford to shop elsewhere so no idea what the others do.

raewyn64, Jul 15, 3:52am
I did mine at Countdown yesterday - weekly shop. Vege wise I got potatoes which were on special - usually about $8.00 but they were just under $5. I got bananas at $1.89 /kg and I noted that the local vege shop I go passed had them at $1.99 so Countdown was cheaper. I also got a bolar roast and pork roast on specail so I ddi not notice an increase at all in any of my regular shopping items.

toadfish, Jul 15, 4:20am
I didn't either, in fact I find with Countdown as long as you arn't too brand loyal, and shop for the specials its not too bad price wise.I didn't even look at the fruit and veg, and the only meat i brought was a reduced to clear smoked chicken for $5.19, Which I will chop up and freeze, then use in a pasta in a hurry dinner.

fast_or_last, Jul 15, 5:16am
instore only what about us online shoppers

kuaka, Jul 15, 6:53am
What about you!

toadfish, Jul 18, 6:28pm
Saved $36 filling up. Really pleased. Funny thing was the petrol station "Z" computer scanned the docket at 49c off, so they gave me 70c cash. some sort of glitch.

Plus cupboards still stocked and no need to shop this week. And I still have a 10c docket to use.

kuaka, Jul 19, 1:12am
So you bought $400 worth of groceries (well whether they were actually worth that is debatable - but that's what they cost!) and you saved $36 on fuel.I don't see a problem with that at all.So you can look at it two ways - your groceries actually only cost you $364 or you saved $36 on fuel - either way it's a saving.

toadfish, Jul 19, 3:21am
A saving is a saving is a saving. I am very happy. plus there is a time saving of not shopping for 2 to 3 weeks.

kuaka, Jul 19, 5:18am
Egg-sactly!

toadfish, Jul 28, 6:21pm
Still haven't done a big shop, although the list is growing so probably next weekend (making it 3 weeks between shops). and last night I used my 10c voucher and save another $7.
I must admit to going in to countdown last week for Magnums for a family treat, and walking out with the 10 bottles of my girls and my favourite sunsilk shampoo and conditioner, reduced from $8.17 to $3.89, so saved over $40 there as well.

guest, Aug 16, 9:19am
I only buy super specials from Countdown. Their other prices are so over the top compared to PaknSave, esp health and beauty products - often 15-20% more expensive at Countdown. If you spend $400 at Countdown they certainly recover the petrol discount very quickly! i.e. they gain more than we do!

toadfish, Aug 17, 8:52pm
And it all happens again.
Think I might gear up for a Mega shop tommorrow morning.Luckily Pak'n'Save is matching the countdown offer. so i can get the best of both worlds, cheaper prices and a big fuel saving.

kiwinanny, Aug 17, 10:05pm
And P&S includes vouchers in the total unlike Countdown.

toadfish, Aug 17, 10:41pm
Are you sure!

griffo4, Aug 18, 4:59am
Just in time for our monthly shop so got a 50c and 30c at Pak n Save so happy about that and they last for a month
Hope they keep it up and they had there $5 deals as well, a bonus

strebor1, Aug 18, 5:12am
Yes you can't get better than that, definitely worth having.

duckmoon, Aug 18, 5:44am
I have just been to the new world supermarket and spent $50 and then purchased $350 of new world vouchers - and then fillled up the car.
I saved $25 and will spend the $350 on groceries over the next two weeks

While at the supermarket, I think purchased another $400 of vouchers. And have another fifty cents voucher - which i will use in three weeks time.

The vouchers will be used in next four or five weeks.

toadfish, Aug 18, 6:27am
I rang my local Pak n Save (Botany) and they said the deal did not include Gift vouchers or tobacco

toadfish, Aug 18, 6:28am
Good for you, you are really working it.

griffo4, Aug 18, 7:02am
duckmoon what a good idea but we only shop at pak n save so sad they don't allow that

kay141, Aug 18, 7:37am
There is no way I could get all my groceries at the local New World. I would still have to shop somewhere else for meat, veges and all the things that are missing from the shelves. I was there on Wednesday and it seemed half the shelves were empty.

duckmoon, Aug 18, 11:40am
We have a great NW