Spend $400 @ Countdown, save 50c litre on fuel?

Page 2 / 4
kuaka, Jul 12, 11:22pm
Not necessarily, I just buy stuff that I would have bought, but I buy in bulk or in advance - so it's two or three weeks before I go to the supermarket again, rather than next week.

nfh1, Jul 12, 11:28pm
Yes me too - I would not think of buying something which would not get used to get a coupon.

lythande1, Jul 12, 11:54pm
I barely spend $100 a week so even if I shopped monthly it wouldn't happen.
Not worth bothering, I use about $70 petrol in around 10 days.
Shopping, most isn't actually done at a supermarket anyway, they're too expensive, even the lying Pak n Save.

toadfish, Jul 13, 2:04am
Same here. I plan to buy 2 or 3 of our staple buy every week groceries and maybe a couple of Hubbies Glucosamine/Joint Tablets - at $33 a bottle doesn't take much to get to that limit. - If there is a good special on the girls toiletries, which there usually is on one of the brands, I will stock up on those as well.50c a litre will save me $35+ on a fill and it just means I won't buy the products I stocked up on for quite some time.

check the Pak n Save website, they have a similiar fuel deal this weekend, but for us I am then tied to their pumps and a shorted time to use it.

wheelz, Jul 13, 4:14am
.for those who say pac n slave is cheaper. if you shop weekly at Countdown, you receive a reward voucher quarterly, which equates to more than you can save at the other !
and.the fuel voucher from countdown is valid for a month.not a measly week.

spotswood, Jul 13, 4:21am
I have just been to pak n save for my regular fortnightly shop.They are doing the same sort of deal.I spent $375 so my discount was 35 cents off.that made the gas down to 164.99 a litre,good enough for me!

norse_westie, Jul 13, 4:44am
I disagree. By the end of the holidays my cupboards are BARE and I need to do a big shop to replenish them. I usually spend $300-$400 anyway for a weeks food. I did mine today and didn't notice any increase in prices at all. Sure fruit and veggies are often more expensive at P&S, but not always. Often they have bought bulk deals and have a few things much cheaper than elsewhere - but for the most part I am local to many orchards etc and get cheap produce anyway.

P&S meat is not the best, but man do they do good deals at times. Not even The Mad Butcher beat their lamb leg deals recently, and I stocked up my freezer with them.

They haven't lured me in at all - I always shop weekly as I can't store enough food for fortnightly, I always shop at P&S and I always buy petrol. Hardly a scam. Its a damn decent discount for something I absolutely have to have, for doing something I absolutely have to do.

kay141, Jul 13, 5:22am
Not for everyone. I don't buy enough at any supermarket to get a voucher and fuel vouchers are useless to me too. The supermarkets are only for basic groceries etc. not for anything fresh.

kuaka, Jul 13, 8:47am
When you have no alternative - ie. no local butcher, no local veg shop, no local fish monger, the one and only supermarket is really the only place to shop, unless you're keen to buy your whole weeks groceries at the local Four Square.Also I figure if we're paying extra on the groceries to subsidise the fuel dockets, then we're mad not to take advantage of the fuel dockets as we are probably paying for them indirectly anyway.

Also, noticed today that New World is also offering 50c a litre off if you spend over $400 but you also get 4 x fly buys points.Not to be sneezed at if you need to spend $400.

nfh1, Jul 13, 9:15am
And wine!

waswoods, Jul 13, 9:25am
Mum and I will pay together and she doesn't have a car so I will get the 50c voucher!

kay141, Jul 13, 9:36pm
I don't have any of those shops locally either. I spend 30 minutes or more on a bus to get to them but then, I do the same to go to the supermarket. It does help that I'm not shopping for a family.

cookessentials, Jul 14, 12:15am
Look at the maximum amount your car can take ( say 60 litres) if you save $30 but have spent $400 on groceries, you have been given less than 10% off your gorcery bill basically.

nfh1, Jul 14, 12:20am
I am happy to save the $35.It is just spending today, rather than next week.We will never stop eating or drinking in this household so might as well shop when the voucher is at 50 cents, rather than next week when it may only be 6 cents.

I actually find the high vouchers save me money, because I actually put off shopping until there is a large one, so shop less and spend less on 'tempting' items!

So it is a definite win-win for me.

raewyn64, Jul 14, 1:05am
I just did my weekly shop but as I walked into Countdown there was a docket on the ground so I picked it up and it had a 20c voucher still on the bottom of it - someone didn't want the fuel discount. So I grabbed it and then got a 10c one from my shopping so that will do me for 2 weeks petrol so I am happy.

nfh1, Jul 14, 1:19am
They are probably on the third trip around the car park looking for their voucher!It would be so annoying to lose one.

biggles45, Jul 14, 1:31am
Me too. Anything fresh - we grow. Don't buy wine except for special occasions. I would struggle to spend $400 over 3 or 4 weeks.

cookessentials, Jul 14, 2:26am
I dont buy enough at the supermarket either.

norse_westie, Jul 14, 2:32am
Strange logic unless you think people intend to take home the extra food they bought and dump it in the bin. I think most people would simply stock up on the specials items to fill the pantry or freezer. If I didn't already spend $400 many weeks, thats what I would do. Heck today there was dishwashing liquid 3 for $3, tissues around the sameand many other bulk deals. We are going to use these things, so why not save upwards of $5 AND get free petrol as well!

Its about being canny not just assuming its all a con.

norse_westie, Jul 14, 2:34am
I used to have a petrol card, so would always leave my dockets on the packing shelf area for someone else, or offer it to the checkout person. Now I don't have one, so I use mine. This week I made sure my tank was on empty and saved myself $41. And got heaps of great specials at the same time, although the lamb was $8.99/kg this week.

crystalmoon, Jul 14, 2:40am
If I needed to do a big shop,could possible get there with extra,but having just done shopping and fueled up for the fortnight,will have to give it a miss,otherwise,yes I would.

toadfish, Jul 14, 3:11am
I went today armed with a big list(haven't shopped for a fortnight so cupboards and fridge were empty - and will only shop for fresh fruit and veg now for about 2-3 weeks) I got to $400, paid that and got 50c's off and then went on to spend another $140, so got another 10c one, which I will give to DD (seeing i pay for her gas lol) I will save about $35 and she will save about $6, thats $41 for nothing. Got to love that. And I don't need to shop now for at least a fortnight, probably 3 weeks even.I only brought things we use on a weekly basis and stocked up on good specials. Averaged over say 4 weeks, for 4 Adults not too expensive a shop.

griffo4, Jul 14, 3:38am
Pak n save have a month for the fuel voucher and l got 2 of them today for my month shop a 50c and a 35c and they are valid till 14/08/12

Countdown is so much dearer and it is worth it for us to travel to the city once a month to shop at PNS as the yoghurt alone is $5 cheaper than local Countdown and that is not on special,

not to mention so many other things l can spend $200 at countdown and walk out with a couple of shopping bags but PNS for the same things and more and a few treats for the same $200

kuaka, Jul 14, 3:45am
When we fill up, we usually put 60 to 70 litres of diesel in, and put the rest in fuel cans, to make sure we take advantage of the 100 litre max.I can't see a problem with saving $50 on fuel by spending $400 in one lump sum, rather than in two or three smaller lumps.The groceries are not going to waste.I just won't go back so soon and my pantry, fridge and freezer are full.

kuaka, Jul 14, 7:43am
But if you have a diesel vehicle like me, and diesel is $1.50 a litre, and you save 50c a litre, and you fill up with 100 litres (both vehicle and fuel cans) then you save $50 which is a 33% saving on the fuel (costs $100 instead of $150) - never mind the money you've spent on the groceries - you were going to spend that on groceries sooner or later.