Choko's how can I cook them,

bree82, Apr 12, 5:25am
I have been given a bag of choko's and I don't want to make pickle or chutney any ideas how to cook these will be apprecitated,

margyr, Apr 12, 5:34am
boil and in a cheese sauce is nice, chop or slice and use in a stir fry, they dont have much flavour on their own, you can also boil and mash and add to apricots or apples to make them go further in a shortcake or sponge pudding. they keep for ages, when you peel them they have a sort of sticky fluid that comes out over your hands but easy enough to wash off, are they the prickly sort or smooth skinned?

bree82, Apr 12, 5:40am
thanks for that, they are smooth skinned, can they be baked? ? ? My hubby just cut one up and put it in with kumara, parsnips, carrots that I am roasting in oven? ? probably taste awful

margyr, Apr 12, 5:46am
yeah i have roasted them, but as i said they dont have much flavour, but will be ok to eat with the other vege. lucky they are smooth the prickly ones were hard to peel.

bree82, Apr 12, 5:48am
I will taste test them when they are cooked, thanks for your help

jimminette, Apr 12, 6:19am
They make a yummy soup. Friend growns them every year and says do anything with them except put in stew as they go lemony and the flavour takes over a bit. Google Choko as the Mexicans use them a lot but they call them something else.

tommi2, Apr 13, 1:38am
Chokos In Italian Sauce:In some oil in a pan, lightly fry 2 finely chopped onions until soft but not browned. Add several crushed garlic cloves, several chopped green peppers, 3-4 peeled and chopped tomatoes, a little cayenne pepper and some oregano or basil. gently simmer, covered, for at least half an hour. Season to taste with salt. Peel and slice several chokos, add these to the sauce and continue simmering until chokos are tender

tommi2, Apr 13, 1:40am
Breaded Chokos:3 large chokos, 1 egg(beaten), salt and freshly ground pepper, 1 cup breadcrumbs, oil, grated parmesan cheese. Cook the chokos whole in boiling water until tender. Cool, peel and slice them fairly thickly. Dip each slice into seasoned egg then into breadcrumbs and fry in hot oil until golden brown, seve sprinkled with grated cheese

tommi2, Apr 13, 1:44am
Choko Relleno: 3 large chokos, 3 eggs(well beaten), 1 cup seedless raisins, 1 cup sugar, 1 & 1/2 tsps ground nutmeg, 3/4 cup dry sherry, 6 slices sponge cake(crumbled), slivered almonds. Cut the chokos in half and cook them in boiling, salted water, covered, until they are tender, about 20 mins. Drain. When cool enough to handle, remove the seed and scoop out the pulp carefully, leaving the shell intact. Mash the pulp and combine with the eggs, raisins, sugar, nutmeg, sher-
ry and cake, mixing well. If the mixture seems too liquid, add some more cake to give it more body. Stuff the choko shells, stud with the almonds, arrange in a greased baking dish and bake in a mod oven until golden, about 15 mins

guessed, Mar 16, 12:15pm
Slice thin strips add to salad for crunch/texture. Chips with a bit of salt and olive oil and or butter. Great in a curry! As they are a mild taste they add a bit off contrast to the inherent full-flavour of the curry. Happy eating.