How do people with budget's stick to them

Page 2 / 3
sarahb5, Jun 9, 9:19am
Is your income weekly or monthly!Most outgoings are monthly but are easily divided so you can pay for them weekly - just separate the money out for each outgoing that you have to cover.Must dos come first (fire wood, warrant and rego), would like tos come second (concert tickets) and then what's left (birthday).

ducky001, Jun 9, 9:22am
Thanks for that advice. I definitely need to invest in an accounting book. Thanks

fatboy6, Jun 9, 9:22am
I have to get the concert tickets in the next week, but I will do the get the cash out thing and cancle my internet banking cos it I look on there and see the money I seem to find a reason to spend it (I know that is terrible) but it is a habbit I have gotten into.

fatboyswife, Jun 9, 9:28am
No worries ducky001

If you have a book fatboy6, you'll know what to expect and when as you can see it.

I also divide everything into weekly (as said above) and as there are sometimes 5 pays in one calendar month, I still keep it at divided by 4, which means that I'm now in credit with all the utlities (power, phone, sky etc).We're about a month ahead which really takes the mental pressure off.

fatboy6, Jun 9, 9:37am
I have devided them all and it seems to be sort of working but I think I need to put something in place for the car as well and money aside for birthdays might help too.
That sounds great fatboyswife

jns, Jun 9, 10:03am
Include the Warrant/Rego and birthdays in your budget.Work out how much you spend on birthdays each year, divide it (and warrant/regos) into a weekly amount and put that money aside.Then you'll have it there when you need it.

nunesy, Jun 9, 11:32am
It's very tempting to ignore some things when you're writing a budget because the amount that goes out seems so huge.But brace yourself, sit down and write down every thing you can think of; give yourself a bit of time to do this.The first time I did it I totally forgot my cellphone top up cost until I needed it.Also don't be discouraged if the amount you can put aside as 'savings' is tiny.As you go, you'll learn short cuts (ie cheap recipes to cut foodbills etc) and anything saved is better than nothing.The cash only thing doesn't work for me, but does for a friend.Definitely have two accounts at least, one for spending and one for savings.But taking out cash instead of using eftpos saves on fees and also helps you realise what you do spend.All the best.

mousetrapp, Jun 9, 11:44am
For car rego and warrants put away a certain away each week (the first little while you'll be out, but it shows how much you need to save each week and its only a small amount)
http://www.familybudgeting.org.nz/budgeting-tools/ This works it out for you
Put this amount away each week- ANZ for example have free online accounts - rename the accounts WARRANT DUE 12 JAN. Hopefully you'll be less likely to spend if you cant access the account (unless online) and if you see its name and what its for

mousetrapp, Jun 9, 11:44am
For car rego and warrants put away a certain away each week (the first little while you'll be out, but it shows how much you need to save each week and its only a small amount)
Put this amount away each week- ANZ for example have free online accounts - rename the accounts WARRANT DUE 12 JAN. Hopefully you'll be less likely to spend if you cant access the account (unless online) and if you see its name and what its for

raewyn64, Jun 9, 9:29pm
I have another bank acccount with a different bank. That way when I do all my internet banking etc with my main bank I don't see the other account so what I can't see I don't use. I just have money automatically going into it. And if I need to use the money then I have to go to the bank to get to it.

I also always have a grocery shopping list. There are also some threads on here on feeding within a budget and there is a website called Oily Rag which has some savings ideas.
Oh and I NEVER let my husband come grocery shopping with me :) lol

cookessentials, Jun 9, 10:20pm
go on to "Get Sorted" and set yourself up with your own budget page. It takes you through everything, down to vets bills, grocery all outgoings you can possibly think of, plus you cn add some of your own. It calculates all the outgoings and what it costs over a month or a week etc. It gives you for financial position as you go to see where you sit. It is well worth doing.

cookessentials, Jun 9, 10:22pm
https://www.sorted.org.nz/!_$ja=kw:get+sorted%7ccgn:Brand+Exact%7ccgid:1915035961%7ctsid:9935%7ccn:Brand+Exact%7ccid:55324321%7clid:1469328124%7cmt:Exact%7cnw:search%7ccrid:14173049521&gclid=CI6f1MSYwrACFVGZpAodZTKNkw

It is well worth doing this. We have one and we have money aside for everything, including a yearly overseas holiday and an amount for weekends away throughout the year. By doing this and being aware, we had an $8000 surplus, even with saving a specified amount each fortnight.

cookessentials, Jun 9, 10:22pm
https://www.sorted.org.nz/!_$ja=kw:get+sorted%7ccgn:Brand+Exact%7ccgid:1915035961%7ctsid:9935%7ccn:Brand+Exact%7ccid:55324321%7clid:1469328124%7cmt:Exact%7cnw:search%7ccrid:14173049521&gclid=CI6f1MSYwrACFVGZpAodZTKNkw

It is well worth doing this. We have one and we have money aside for everything, including a yearly overseas holiday and an amount for weekends away throughout the year. By doing this and being aware, we had an $8000 surplus, even with saving a specified amount each fortnight.

arabelle, Jun 9, 11:52pm
I have imaginary buckets, one for maintainance, groceries, utilities etc.so only one light on per person in house, if you have a wetback work out best time to do washing [if you need to do a warm wash] showers and dishes.how you do things, hand wash, no machine etc etc. I have swapped gettingmy hair cut for donkey to get farrier visit, put certain amount of money away for those emergencies and regular payments, WOF, power etc. I just pay $100 for the rates each month, and power,so then get the positive balance discount.It really hurts to have to pay interest on the cr card. so savings like that soon amount up.
And all of the suggestions above

fatboy6, Jun 10, 12:43am
Thanks for the tips I will go have a look now :)

fatboy6, Jun 10, 2:17am
Grrr sorted not working it wont show the tatols for me.
Back to the pen and paper and use a book :)

dibble35, Jun 10, 7:18am
Budget advisors can be free, i've been a few times to the one here in whangarei and they are really good. I also have a list of monthly expenses on a board in plain view so i cant ignore it. Eg, car rego, insurance (house and car), vets bills, rates, etc. I have worked it so theres no big bills all coming in at once.

cookessentials, Jun 10, 8:38am
It should show them all. Did you set yourself up your own page first! You need to register on, which you will see as you scroll down.You need to go through each section and save it first. Perservere, as it is just so simple once you know how.

poppy5791, Jun 11, 12:36am
Maybe try something like this:http://www.budgetworksheets.org/

poppy5791, Jun 11, 12:36am
Maybe try something like this:http://www.budgetworksheets.org/

akalea, Jun 19, 9:22am
Moustrap wrote:

If you use this site you will also find a cashflow chart, where you can write all payments due to go out for weeks and months ahead so you know what is due to be paid well in advance.I have used this and found it helpful to look ahead.

I also have a bank account with another bank for savings.With my main bank I have one account for my everyday use and the other for holding monies for bills.

Another idea is to take out money in cash for petrol, groceries and/or other weekly items and leave the rest in your bank account until it is needed to pay bills.Put your credit and eftpos card/s away and leave at home so not tempted to use them after you have spent all of the cash.

akalea, Jun 19, 9:22am
Moustrap wrote:

If you use this site you will also find a cashflow chart, where you can write all payments due to go out for weeks and months ahead so you know what is due to be paid well in advance.I have used this and found it helpful to look ahead.

I also have a bank account with another bank for savings.With my main bank I have one account for my everyday use and the other for holding monies for bills.

Another idea is to take out money in cash for petrol, groceries and/or other weekly items and leave the rest in your bank account until it is needed to pay bills.Put your credit and eftpos card/s away and leave at home so not tempted to use them after you have spent all of the cash.

frances1266, Jun 19, 7:44pm
Sort out with your bank to have all bills made by automatic payment, set up another account that an ap of a small amount of money goes into every week for emergencies and, also a Christmas club account which stops having to use credit cards at Christmas.It all adds up and means that what is left in your account each week is what you have to spend on groceries, petrol and hopefully a treat for yourself.

ange164, Jun 19, 10:22pm
here's a simple thing to help at the supermarket.
Put the NEEDS up first on the conveyor belt, and the WANTS up last. When you run out of budgeted money - tell the checkout operator you're sorry but you won't be buying the rest after all.Truly, they'd rather you were straight up about it and are quite used to re-shelving "go backs."

elliehen, Jun 20, 1:08am
At 2.10 today on National Radio, Afternoons with Jim Mora, a woman is going to reveal how she can feed her family on $21.00 a week.