Meatfree burger recipe

frances1266, May 22, 12:37am
Anyone have a really good recipe for a burger pattie that is meat, dairy and egg free.Tks

winnie231, May 22, 12:55am
I'm not sure who originally posted this recipe but it has received some positive comments from other members here .

FAST VEGAN CRUMBED SAUSAGES/BURGER PATTIES

Very quick and cheap and easy when there is "nothing in the pantry".

Into a bowl place 1 cup of rolled oats. Add a crumbled vegetarian stock cube (like Massell) and anything else you want in the way of flavours. I usually use 1 tsp mixed herbs. You an add a small finely chopped onion if you want. Now pour over 1 cup of boiling water and mix well. Either cover tightly and leave for 10 minutes OR stick it in the microwave for 1 or two minutes on high. Cool slightly then add 1 large tablespoon crunchy peanut butter and mix well. put some crumbs out on a plate and take small portions of the mixture, dab into the crumbs and shape into little sausage shapes, or patties or balls. fry gently in a good oil till golden and crispy all over.
Cheap, healthy hi fibre, and kids like it, esp with tomato sauce!

cgvl, May 22, 1:37am
I have made both these recipes and I presume if it needs to be dairy free you could substitute the cheese for a vegan one or leave it out altogether. Both recipes are from Sarah Brown's book.
Black eyed bean patties:
250g Black-eyed beans soaked overnight.
125g fresh breadcrumbs
55g brazil nuts ground
125g cheddar cheese
1 garlic clove crushed
1tsp marjoram
1tsp dried sage
salt and pepper.
Drain the beans, cover with fresh water and boil until tender, drain again and mash.
Mix in all other ingredients. It should be a moist mixture. chill for an hour or two until firm. shape into patties or croquettes, roll in dried breadcrumbs or shortgrain rice or millet or buckwheat. Cook 4-5mins each side.

bedazzledjewels, May 22, 1:42am
Apparently McDonalds are bringing out a McVegan burger!

cgvl, May 22, 1:47am
Mushroom and Aduki Patties.
170g Aduki Beans soaked overnight.
2Tbsp olive oil
340g mushrooms
1clove garlic crushed
1-2 dried red chilli peppers (I use a little dried flakes as I don't like a lot of chilli)
1tsp ground cumin
2Tbsp wholewheat flour
salt and pepper

Drin beans, cover with fresh cold water and boil until tender. Should be mushy
Fry mushrooms, garlic, cumin and chilli for 5-6 mins.
Sprinkle the flour over mix and continue to cook for a further 2-3 mins.
Mix with beans and season to taste
Chill overnight to firm, shape and fry for 4-5mins each side.
You can use herbs such as parsley and coriander instead of the chilli and cumin.
I have shaped these and popped in freezer to firm when I'm in a hurry.

You could substitute canned beans instead of the dried if short of time, I would use probably cannelloni beans if others not available.

frances1266, May 22, 5:10am
The sausage/patty recipe is really good and the others sound good also.
Is that true bedazzled or a joke!

bedazzledjewels, May 22, 5:20am

frances1266, May 22, 7:09am
Thanks for that bj - vegans are starting to make a difference, great news to me.

vinee, May 22, 7:07pm
I do 1/3 cooked chick peas, 1/3 mashed vege, 1/3 cooked lentils, lots of spices and garlic. You can crumb or use wholemeal flour to coat. Even meat eaters eat these!

ruby19, May 22, 8:05pm
Bet they won't make it to little old NZ though!In oz Hungry jacks - burger king do veggie burger that does not make it across the ditch!

frances1266, May 23, 5:57am
Burger Fuel do a vegan burger also.

blt10, May 23, 6:33am
Lentil burgers are lovely& quick

ruby19, May 23, 6:49am
I use falafel mix sometimes, and form into a patty.

=== Veggie Parmesan Patties ===Ingredients1T olive oil2 onions 4oz mushrooms1t fres-
h thyme leaves1/2c parmesan, coarsely grated1/2c Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated1c borlotti or pinto beans, rinsed and drained1c fresh bread crumbs1T soy sauce 2 T red wine, 1t Dijon mustard1 egg, beaten1T cornstarch8 -
;soft bread rolls salt, pepper to taste. InstructionsHeat the oil in a skillet, add the onions, mushrooms, thyme, salt and saute until the onions are softened and golden. Let cool. Transfer to a food processor, add the cheeses, beans, breadcrumbs and pepper. Pulse until mixed, then add the soy sauce, wine, mustard, egg and cornstarch. Process until mixed but not too smooth. Using wet hands, shape the mixture into patties. Put on the prepared baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and chill until firm. (At this point, you can freeze and then cook from frozen when needed.) When ready to cook, brush the tops with extra oil and bake in a preheated oven at 425°F for 25 minutes until golden and crisp. (5-10 minutes longer if cooking from frozen.)recipe from Celia Brooks Brown.

frances1266, May 23, 7:34am
I sometimes buy a felafel mix labelled Turkish Kitchen and pat out think burger patties.They are v. good when you are short of time.Looking for a more typical burger patty recipe at the moment.