Caramel Slice help please

knit1, May 19, 2:52am
Does anyone have a fail proof recipe for this, I find the edmonds cook book base isn't that good even tho added more butter!I notice in some shops the base is also brown,

campmum, May 19, 2:58am
I love this one.
Highlander Caramel Slice
Base
1 cup of flour
1 tsp of baking powder
1 cup of coconut
1 cup of brown sugar
125 g of butter (melted)
Filling
1 can of condensed milk
2 tbsp of golden syrup
1 tbsp of butter
Topping
200 g cooking chocolate, broken (dark chocolate is best)
Instructions
1.Preheat the oven to 180 degC. Grease and line the base and sides of a 20cm X 30cm sponge roll tin.
2.Prepare the base. Combine the flour, baking powder, coconut and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Stir in butter*. Press into tin and bake in the preheated oven for 10 mins.
3.While the base is cooking, prepare the filling. Combine the condensed milk, golden syrup and butter into a small saucepan. Cook over a moderate heat, stirring constantly, until boiling. Continue to cook, stirring for another 5 mins. Spread the base**. Return to oven for an extra 10 mins. Place on a rack to cool.
4.Prepare the topping. Place the chocolate in to a bowl. Bring a small quantity of water to the boil in a saucepan, remove from the heat an place the bowl of chocolate firmly on top. Stir while the chocolate melts. Spread over the filling. Chill until chocolate is set. Cut into slices using a warm knife.

knit1, May 19, 3:10am
thanks have kept copy of that one and fingers crossed some will put more up :)

bambi58, May 19, 4:08am
Cindy's Caramel slice
BASE:
125g butter1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 Cup flour1 heaped tsp baking powder
2 tbsp cocoa1 egg
1 vanilla ess.
Cream butter & sugar, add egg & vanilla ess, mix well.
Add flour, baking powder, cocoa, mix well.
Press into greased sponge roll pan, bake 12mins, 180'c
CARAMEL TOPPING:
1 tin condensed milk
50g butter
2 tbsp golden syrup
Place all in microwave jug.
Microwave on HIGH for 1 min, stir, then microwave 1 - 1 1/2 min more.
Spread on top of base, bake until bubbles appear along side.180'c
Ice with choc ganache or icing while warm.
Foolproof - I've made this 100s of times when I baked for shop.
Enjoy!

knit1, May 20, 6:33am
kewl thanks :)

seaspray1, May 20, 7:00am
Don't know how old these recipes are. BUT just be aware that the Highlander milk consistency has changed (although they deny it) so if the recipes are more than a couple of years old perhaps use a different brand of condensed milk.Not Pams as it is made by Nestle as well.I use one called Cinderella and it is just as Highlander used to be.

campmum, May 20, 8:04pm
Made the slice 2 weeks ago & it was fine with H condensed milk

jaybee6, May 20, 9:19pm
When I make this slice the topping of caramel soaks through the base. Have ruined it many times. Should I be putting it on the base when it is cold.Cheers.

taurus2005, May 20, 9:45pm
I have had it where the base was brown in a cafe.Theymay have used wholemeal flour, plus double the caramel and they also had bits of cystallised giger thru it and topped with chopped pistachios.Yum.

wheelz, May 20, 10:21pm
never had any problem with highlander milk ! Seems the same as it always has been.

antoniab, May 20, 10:44pm
Thats the one I use - made it yesterday

antoniab, May 20, 10:45pm
Nope put it on hot then it goes back in the oven for 10min. Try doubling the base recipe - I do this as I find it too thin usually for a 20x30cm tin

kinna54, May 21, 1:59am
Agree that highlander milk definitely has changed.I was wondering why my neenish tarts filling wouldn't set.went to aTamara Jane site.(cook from good morning show) and found that she had used the basic Edmonds recipe,*but increased the icing sugar/dry quantity by a third to compensate,* so that shows that there is a difference. I made her recipe for the filling and it was perfect.
Have also had trouble with caramel being runny, maybe add a touch of cornflour or a binding agent! I note there is an old WW recipe that adds cornflour to the caramel when heating.

knit1, May 21, 3:37am
okay will try later tonight and double thebase mixture, and I cheated and bought the caramel condensed milk so fingers crossed it will set okay! but wondering about the cornflour hint and how much to put in ! suggestions welcome :)

bambi58, May 21, 8:32am
Do you half cook the base first! And your caramel must be very runny - coook it a bit longer.
Hope this helps1