pickles7, May 18, 9:33pm
peel core and slice
2 large quinces [600grams left]cook in
600 mils of waterwith
160 grams of sugar
160 grams of runny honey
3 cm grated fresh ginger
juice of 1/2 a lemonsimmer for 1&1/2 hours, stir occasionally
drain, reserve the liquor. leave the quince to cool. reduce the liquor until thick and syrupy.
Sift 250 grams of flour
2 tsp gr. ginger
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
Cream
150 grams butter
180 grams of sugaradd
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs1 egg yolkone at a time then
fold in
the flour and
100 grams cream fraichethen fold in
the chopped quince and
3 balls of stem ginger in syrup drained and chopped

Bake 1 & 1/4 hours 170 C
When cooked pierce the top of the cake a few times with a skewer and brush on the glaze sprinkle over
2 Tbsp sugar cool in the tin for 30 minutes.
Cool on a rack.
Syrup
3 Tbsp syrup from the ginger jar
3 Tbsp quince syrup mixed together.

pickles7, May 18, 9:33pm
peel core and slice
2 large quinces[600grams left]cook in
600 mils of waterwith
160 grams of sugar
160 grams of runny honey
3 cm grated fresh ginger
juice of 1/2 a lemonsimmer for 1&1/2 hours, stir occasionally
drain, reserve the liquor. leave the quince to cool. reduce the liquor until thick and syrupy.

Sift
250 grams of flour
2 tsp gr. ginger
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt

Cream
150 grams butter
180 grams of sugaradd
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs1 egg yolkone at a time then

fold in
the flour
100 grams cream fraiche
the chopped quince and
3 balls of stem ginger in syrup drained and chopped

Bake 1 & 1/4 hours 170 C
Make up syrup
3 Tbsp syrup from the ginger jar
3 Tbsp quince syrup mixed together.

When cooked pierce the top of the cake a few times with a skewer and brush on the glaze sprinkle over
2 Tbsp sugar cool in the tin for 30 minutes.
Cool on a rack.

pickles7, May 18, 10:51pm
Sticky Date and Coconut Cake

Ingredients
1 cup dates
1 cup water
1 tsp baking soda
60g butter
1 beaten egg
1tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder

Method
Preheat the oven to 180C.
Grease 20cm round cake tin with butter.
Place the dates, water and baking soda in a small saucepan on a low heat and boil until the dates are soft. Set aside.
Cream the butter and sugar (don't be alarmed if it seems sugary!), then beat in the eggs and vanilla.
Sift the flour and baking powder, then combine with the butter mixture.
Add the date mixture.
Pour into a cake tin and bake for 35 minutes until it feels firm. Remove from oven.
While baking make the topping. (In my house I normally make a double mixture of topping as this is my favourite part!)

Ingredients
1 cup shredded coconut (must be shredded not desiccated)
1 cup brown sugar
60g butter
2 tbsp milk

Method
Put all ingredients into a saucepan.
Warm this mixture gently until pourable then pour over cake and bake for another 25 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
Cool on a rack at room temp then serve.

elliehen, May 18, 10:55pm
More sticky baking for wintry days ;)

griffo4, May 19, 6:32am
Thanks pickles but my quinces have finished so will have to wait till next year

geldof, May 19, 7:50am
I already make the date one, but the quince one sounds great.
My quinces have also finished.
I have some cooked and frozen so I might give this a go.

pickles7, May 19, 8:13am
I just bought 4, they were way different than I remember them to be. They have smooth silky skin. I remember them to be fluffy and rough. They did take the full 1&1/2 hours to turn pink.
The recipe is one I got with the quinces. It is one off, "River cottage" site.

elliehen, May 19, 8:59am
Somebody must have rubbed off the fluff.My quinces come straight from the tree of a friend, complete with fluffy coats.

pickles7, May 19, 9:24am
No,they were selectively bred to be more appealing, some orchards started to grow them commercially again. I don't think it worked as they are not being sold in the supermarkets.

bev00, May 19, 10:24am
Sounds wonderful thanks pickles7.Wonder how diced quince paste would go in it instead of the actual quinces.A googled recipe :

Olive Oil and Quince Paste Madeira Cake

(Bizcocho de Aceite Dulce de Membrillo)

Ingredients

zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange – finely grated (reserve the orange for juicing)
150g caster sugar
1 1/2 C plain flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
2 tsps baking powder
150ml light olive oil
3 eggs
juice of one orange
100g to 150g firm quince paste – diced

Method

Preheat the oven 175°C and grease and line a loaf tin with baking paper (about a 1 Litre capacity)

Place the orange and lemon zest with the caster sugar in the mixing bowl. Rub the zest into the sugar until most of the sugar has turned into a nice lemony colour (this infuses the sugar with the citrus oil).

Stir in the flour, cinnamon, salt and baking powder.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs and orange juice.

Beat the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until you have a smooth batter.

Spoon a third of the batter into the loaf tin and scatter over the diced quince paste. Spoon another third of the batter, scatter some more quince paste over then pour the remaining mixture over the top.

Bake for 10 minutes then dot more quince paste over the top.

Bake for a further 30 minutes or until it’s well risen and a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the cake.

Remove from oven and allow the cake to completely cool in the tin.

Dust the top with icing sugar and serve with a dollop of marscapone and fresh orange slices. Store the cake in an airtight container (it’ll keep for a week).

griffo4, May 19, 8:59pm
pickles do they taste and smell like real quinces!
mine are the fluffy ones as well and they are so nice to have in the kitchen with their lovely smell
The fluff does come off when they are really ripe
l went and looked at my trees but nothing so l will have a look to see if any are in the shops

pickles7, May 19, 9:31pm
no.griffo4.they don't. They are very bland. I cooked them up adding twice the ginger, lemon etc and they are just not hitting the mark. If it weren't for the ginger the cake would have been a wipe out.
Off the subject of quince, we think the knew variety of choko, are superb. Smooth skin, don't need to run the tap while peeling them. They are simply , .YUMMMMMY.

lurtz, May 19, 11:06pm
Pickles7 I am about to make your Sticky Quince and Ginger cake. It looksdelicious and different. I have bottled and frozen quinces, and will probably use the frozen.

Bev00 your recipe looks intriguing and delicious also, and I will definitely make this soon too. I have a good quantity of paste and jelly and chutney this year -thanks to a generous Recipes thread donor.Below is an interesting link about the variety of quinces in NZ.

http://www.grownups.co.nz/read/lifestyle/gardening/quinces-unmasked

lurtz, May 19, 11:35pm
Pickles7- A quick question. Is it three egg yolks only, or are the egg whites incorporated into the mixture also! Many thanks .

griffo4, May 20, 3:32am
lurtz l read that and l think it means 3 eggs and l egg yolk and put them in one at a time and mix between each one but l understand your ! as it could be a typo and mean 3 eggs added one at a time
l hope pickles can clear it up for us

pickles7, May 20, 3:42am
sorry for the delay.
3 whole eggs plus 1 egg yolk.

lurtz, May 20, 4:25am
Thanks griffo4.

lurtz, May 20, 4:26am
Thanks Pickles7. No worries about the delay. I have prepared the Quinces, and will I have make the cake this evening.

lurtz, May 20, 4:27am
Opps! typo. But you will know what I mean.