Baking with out butter

Page 2 / 2
bunny51, Mar 15, 9:03pm
I can tell the difference between baking made with oil and marg, especially in slices like fudge slice where the butter is melted and the ingredients mixed and left to set. I find there is a funny greasy taste. I choose to bake with butter rather than marge because I don't like the taste when baked with marg.

elliehen, Mar 15, 9:21pm
I find the only difference to be in texture.The cake made with butter will be denser and the one with margarine lighter.

Having said that, I can't imagine a situation where I would phone the giver of a "thank you" cake to ask about the ingredients unless I was wanting the recipe ;)

elliehen, Mar 15, 9:24pm
That is quite different.Butter melts at body temperature and gives a pleasant "mouth feel" where as margarine stays like an oil.

My choice would be butter for slices and crisp cookie, but margarine works well for cakes where (as lx4000 says) you cream the sugar with the shortening.

ry5, Mar 16, 3:06am
I used to have a cake recipe that used a tin of peaches, flour & sugar, but I can't remember the quantities of flour & sugar,Maybe someone on here might know.

soph001, Mar 16, 4:01am
I do a fair bit of baking and have found that almost any recipe that calls for melted butter, I can replace with oil.
Even delicate sponge cake.
Although TBH I don't make many biscuits. So I wouldn't really know there.

ansypansy1, Mar 17, 7:44am
here is a recipe we use all the time, my husband makes it and freezes the cookies so we don't eat too many. it has margarine, and I'd defy anyone to know the difference between this and butter

Heat oven to 180 degrees C. Beat 500g margarine (Sunrise 500g is 3 for $5 at the moment) with 1 cup of sugar until pale and creamy. Add a tin of condensed milk and 5 cups of self raising flour (or plain flour with 5 tsp baking powder). Mix all together. Roll mixture into teaspoon sized balls and place on a greased baking tray and flatten with a fork. Cook for 10-15 minutes until golden. This makes 120-150 biscuits depending on size. You can add any ingredients you have in your store cupboard. A Nescafe caramel latte sachet makes a good flavouring. Crushed up leftover Easter eggs, mixed spice or cinnamon, orange zest and a little juice, hot chocolate powder, sprinkles on top, sultanas - the possibilities are endless.
We generally use half a packet of fruit mix, and he makes about 60 out of the mix, so obviously a lot bigger than suggested

cookessentials, Mar 17, 7:57am
The question is not nasty. it is a perfectly reasonable question because I am sure I had read that A. You dont eat this type of food and B: you dont eat maragrine. What is rude about the question please! After reading your answer above, I would have thought that describing something, given to youwith much pride by the baker, as disgusting would have been rude, not the question.

davidt4, Mar 17, 8:45am
I don't do much baking these days, but I am amazed that so many posters cannot taste the difference between butter and margarine.I think margarine tastes stale and artificial, while butter tastes delicious.Putting aside the obvious health differences I would not contemplate using margarine for any baking (or any other food for that matter).

elliehen, Mar 17, 9:42am
I am sure everyone could taste the difference if eating a spoonful, but it would be interesting to have a blind taste test with a cake.(Biscuits are a separate issue.)

However, taste is unique to the individual.Milk in a cup of tea tastes rancid to some finely tuned taste buds ;)

elliehen, Mar 23, 12:10am
Baked this for a Vegan and it's good!I dissolved the baking soda in the milk (substituted Soy milk) and added it to the warmed golden syrup before stirring into the dry ingredients.I used NZ apricots to add a tart piquancy to the sweet dates (don't like those plump perfumey Turkish apricots).

My loaf was ready in exactly one hour and Vegan and non-Vegans alike are really enjoying it.