Tiramasu question...

susieq9, Apr 9, 3:11am
Have got 2 recipes. One says to add the whipped egg whites to the mixture. The other recipe doesn't use the egg whites. Which is the correct one, or are they both right.

cookessentials, Apr 9, 3:26am
x1
Here is mine and it has yolks only. Cannot say I have heard of it with egg whites in it.

Someone asked for a goood tiramisu recipe. This is "Mama's Cake" and is a delicious tiramisu done in a loaf tin, so it makes for easy slicing. Be warned, it is EXTREMELY rich. The recipe comes from a real Italian "Mama" and is quite delicious.

3/4 cup espresso coffee ( or very strong coffee)
1/4 cup rum
1/2 cup caster sugar
4 egg yolks
3/4 tub cream cheese at room temp
1 tsp vanilla essence ( use pure if you can)
2 1/2 cups cream
1 pkt digestive biscuits
1/4 cup cocoa ( I use a good quality Dutch "Blookers" cocoa)

Make coffee and allow to cool. Mix with the rum and set aside. Beat sugar & egg yolks together in a large bowl until light and creamy. Beat in the cream cheese until mixture is very smooth. In a clean bowl, beat together the cream and vanilla until mixture is of a thick, pouring consistency. Do NOT beat until it is like whipped cream.
Beat together the cream cheese mixture with cream until it is thick and spreadable. Line a loaf tin with plastic wrap or tinfoil ( usually use the foil) and smooth the edges out. Spread 1/5th of the mixture in bottom of tin. Quickly dip digestives in the coffee/rum mix and place a layer of biscuits on top of the cream mixture and sprinkle liberally with sifted cocoa. Repeat three layers, finishing with a layer of cream and cocoa. Refrigerate overrnight or minimum of 4 hours ( I prefer overnight for a firmer dessert which is easier to slice) Serve sliced with seasonal fruits

susieq9, Apr 9, 3:30am
Thanks. The recipe I have is very similar, but uses mascapone instead. Guess I will have to make something out of the egg white now!

buzzy110, Apr 9, 3:44am
That looks delicious cooks. Just wondering if you have made it and would it work with the traditional sponge fingers instead?

cookessentials, Apr 9, 4:51am
Hi buzzy, Yes, I have made it on a number of occasions. I guess the digestives give it a little bit more oomph, but savioardi would be ok i guess. i just quite like the nutty flavour of the digestives. it is extremely rich and i also find it is noce to make it a day ahead as the flavours tend to come out even more.

buzzy110, Apr 9, 5:36am
Thanks for that. I have never made tiramisu as my husband doesn't like the ones he has tasted and I am really into decaf coffee. However, this recipe looks rather nice and not like all the different ingredients will revert to their original form, making it all runny and horrible.

I'm pretty sure, in answer to #1's query, that if you used egg white it would not stay whipped for very long and revert back to plain old runny egg white, which is another reason I've never made it as I reckon it would have to be eaten immediately, and who wants to make a 3 bowl dessert from scratch after a lovely meal? Not me, especially after a glass of wine. (I'm a cheap drunk)

eastie3, Apr 9, 5:38am
Your idea of using digestives is a good one cookessential. I'm not keen on rum and use marsala.

griffo4, Apr 9, 9:28pm
cookessentials that recipe is very very rich and also very nice especially after a day or so like you say when all the flavours have mingled

cookessentials, Apr 9, 11:34pm
It is certainly delicious and I am sure you would enjoy it buzzy. Let me know what you think if you do go ahead and make it.

buzzy110, Apr 9, 11:40pm
It will go into my recipes for future use. Don't bake much but always on the lookout for really good recipes and this looks like a keeper.

marcs, Apr 10, 1:18am
I prefer Tiramisu with cream cheese. For some reason it give more flavour. Traditionally it is made with marscapone however I make bake for a restaurant and I make tiramisus for them with cream cheese. They sell like hot cakes.

rkcroft, Apr 10, 6:10am
I make Tiramisu all the time. I have made the traditonal zabaglione one with the cooked egg yolks but I prefer to make the one with whipped egg whites, cream & mascarpone. It definitely does not go runny like an earlier poster mentioned. My recipe has rum, espresso, sponge finger biscuits, dark chocolate, dutch processed cocoa, mascarpone, cream, egg whites, caster sugar and yolks. I have one in the fridge for tonights dessert. Best made a day in advance for flavours to develop.

buzzy110, Apr 10, 6:15am
That's interesting rkcroft. The only time I have come across it being made with the whipped egg whites, it was inedible by the time my hostess wanted to serve up dessert. The sponge fingers had gone soggy and there was an awful lot of more runny stuff in the bottom of the dish. Maybe my host did something wrong.

I'd be interested to see your recipe.

rkcroft, Apr 10, 6:24am
Oh, sounds awful. Hope you didn't eat it. My recipe comes from my head so I don't have proper quantities for everything (bear with me here)...
1-11/2 pkts of sponge finger biscuits
2 eggs
1/4c caster sugar
1 1/2 cups espresso
1/4c rum
250gms mascarpone
250ml cream
grated dark chocolate (62% or greater)
Dutch processed cocoa

Mix rum in with coffeein a shallow dish and allow to cool a little. Beat together egg yolks & sugar for at least 3mins until pale & creamy. Gently beat in mascarpone until just mixed. In separate bowl, beat egg whites until medium peaks. In another bowl, whip cream. Gently fold the beaten egg whites and cream into mascarpone mix. Quickly dip sponge finger biscuits into the coffee mix and cover the bottom of a square or oblong serving dish. Cover with a layer of mascarpone mix then sprinkle over grated chocolate. Repeat layers again. Top with a generous dusting of cocoa and some chocolate curls if desired. Allow to sit in fridge for at least 12 hours before serving. I also use this recipe for the basis of a berry tiramisu. Replace the rum & coffee with vodka & cranberry juice and replace the dark chocolate with white chocolate. Add some fresh berries between the layers as well. Nice summer dish.

susieq9, Apr 11, 1:48am
Thanks every one. Tiramasu was delicious. Made on Friday and eaten last night. Today is even better. Left out the egg whites in my recipe and used just a sponge cake as unable to get any sponge fingers. Also used mascapone and cream.

buzzy110, Apr 11, 2:33am
rkcroft. That recipe looks perfect. Thank you so much.

chooky, Jan 20, 4:12pm
I have a lazypersons Tiramasu and the kids love it.
1 sponge broken into pieces, and put in a bowl, like making a trifle.
Mix 1/3 cut of hot water and 3 heaped tsp instant coffee, and spoon over sponge.
Crunch 1/2 crunchie and sprinkle over sponge.
Make up a butterscotch instant pudding and pour over.
Sprinkle the rest of the crunchie bar over.
Top with whipped cream.
Set in fridge, it doesnt take long.