Reduced cream in a tin.

ruby19, May 1, 8:12pm
another thread got me thinking, apart from the good old kiwi dip, reduced cream & soup mix, what does everyone else use this for!

rainrain1, May 1, 8:47pm
some use them for cheese rolls mixture, and some whipped up desserts, but it's really funny tasting stuff if you ask me

ksr, May 1, 11:43pm
Yeah I would like to know that too!It must have been invented for a reason lol

pericles, May 1, 11:45pm

tigerlilly16, May 2, 4:43am
I grew up with going to my Nanna's on a Sunday and she would serve it with homemade apple or berry pie. She would get one of us kids to shake the can until it stopped sounding 'liquidy' and then it came out quite thick like the texture of thickened yoghurt or sour cream, and she sprinkled sugar over it, so to me that 'strange' taste is actually a yummy, nostalgia-provoking taste, I haven't had it like this since I was a kid, it's quite expensive and I'm not sure if anyone else but me would appreciate it like this, but I have bought it to make dip with.

tigerlilly16, May 2, 4:43am
I grew up with going to my Nanna's on a Sunday and she would serve it with homemade apple or berry pie. She would get one of us kids to shake the can until it stopped sounding 'liquidy' and then it came out quite thick like the texture of thickened yoghurt or sour cream, and she sprinkled sugar over it, so to me that 'strange' taste is actually a yummy, nostalgia-provoking taste, I haven't had it like this since I was a kid, it's quite expensive and I'm not sure if anyone else but me would appreciate it like this, but I have bought it to make dip with.
Edit to add - She used to keep the tin in the fridge too before shaking it. Mmmm now I want some lol

coast_palms, May 2, 6:08am
I use it whenever i make a cream sauce and i have no fresh cream on hand. In fact I always use it for anything I use fresh cream in, just dilute down with water.
Lemon tarts etc. etc.

It is really versatile when you live far away from the local dairy.

I just don't use it as a replacement for whipped cream or pouring cream.use the real deal for those.

lizab, May 2, 6:16am
I was making butter chicken a few weeks ago and I didn't realise I didn't have any fresh cream! Out came the trusty can of reduced cream from the back of the pantry and it was great! My daughter said it was the nicest butter chicken I'd made - tasted a little different, she said, but she liked it! :)