Beginner cook!

chicky221, Feb 20, 3:57am
hey everyone, ive just recently moved into a flat and for the first time, cooking for myself and my partner. Was just wondering if someone could please tell me how to cook cheesy/creamy mashed potatos! thanx!

seniorbones, Feb 20, 4:00am
just boil your potatoes as usual, test after 20mins to see if they are cooked, then mash with about 30gms of butter then add a couple of tabs of milk and grated cheese and 'whip' with a fork.this makes them yummy and creamy! it depends how many pots you cook to the amount of butter and milk not too much butter seeing as your adding cheese, I also add grainy mustard about 1/2 tsp and of course salt and black pepper.off to do my tatties now might do the same yummy with crumbed blue cod!

fee1965, Feb 20, 4:07am
Get a potato ricer!Smooth, creamy mash EVERY time, oh and use good floury spuds, and only ever add warm milk.

fisher, Feb 20, 5:16am
Here's some variations for you.:}
Mashed Potatoes
My Favourite. Cut up a small onion and dice finely. Place raw onions in spuds when mashing.
(a) Add half a pkt of maggi onion soup to the potatoes, mash as usual then add 1 tbsp of whole grain mustard and mix thru.
(b) Try olive oil and crushed garlic through your mashed potato instead of butter and milk.
(c) Grated tasty cheese and diced raw onion in mashed potatoes for tasty difference. Or use 2 x spring onions.
(d) Boil a good size piece of pumpkin with the potatoes Mash altogether for nice colour and different subtle flavour.
(e) Boil some kumara with the potatoes Mash altogether for nice colour and different subtle flavour.
(f) Add silver beet half way through to the potatoes as they cook. Then mash all together.
(g) Add cabbage half way through to the potatoes as they cook. Add black pepper and then mash all together. Ideal with corn beef and mustard sauce
(h) Add 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley while mashing.
(i) Add 2 tbsp of sundried tomatoes and 2 tbsp of chopped basil.
(j) Add 2 rashers of chopped cooked bacon and a dash of tabasco sauce.
(k) Add 1 ~ 2 tbsp each of Thai green curry paste and chopped parsley

mathewvb, Feb 20, 6:46am
Drain potatoes and put back on a hot element and shake to evaporate any water, mash before adding anything to them. Add lots of butter, bit of milk and salt. One kumara makes a huge difference to mashed potatoes.

seniorbones, Feb 20, 6:51am
oh and don't forget to start potatoes, or any other vege that grows underground, in cold water not hot!

twindizzy, Feb 20, 6:54am
add wasabi too

craig04, Feb 21, 12:57am
Another nice alternative to cheese is to use cream cheese - just a couple of tablespoons after mashing your spuds. Whip it in with a whisk - delicious!

pheebs1, Feb 21, 1:38am
best tip ever
after draining potatoes return them in the pot to the stove
element is off but it will dry them out a little before mashing
otherwise youll have soggy water ridden bleech

add butter sourcream or cream cheese or cheese if you want them cheesie
and as i dont have a ricer(would love one)
i use my electric beater and whipp them till light and fluffy i dont mash mine
whisk works too!

pheebs1, Feb 21, 1:38am
best tip ever
after draining potatoes return them in the pot to the stove
element is off but it will dry them out a little before mashing
otherwise youll have soggy water ridden bleech

add butter sourcream or cream cheese or cheese if you want them cheesie
and as i dont have a ricer(would love one)
i use my electric beater and whipp them till light and fluffy i dont mash mine
whisk works too!
hand wand doesnt not and will turn it to glue!

pheebs1, Feb 21, 1:39am
oh yes and if you can afford it buy agria potatoes
says on the bag or tab
best for baking roasting and mash
a little more expensive but sooooo worth it!

fisher, Feb 21, 3:58am
I'm doing agria spuds from garden.some butternut also from garden. and some orange kumura tonite. small onion and a clove of garlic fine chopped,added when mashed.