A fishy question

gregg74, Feb 20, 2:53am
If I was to make a fish/pasta bake fish pie type thing with fresh fish would I cook it first (steam it maybe!) I've only ever used tin fish for a fish pie so all of a sudden thought I don't know how to tackle this!!

danchop, Feb 20, 3:02am
nah it will cook in no time but dont know if there will be much flavour with it not being smoked,might be ok though

245sam, Feb 20, 3:04am
gregg74 wrote:
If I was to make a fish/pasta bake fish pie type thing with fresh fish would I cook it first (steam it maybe!)[/quote

gregg74, I would cook the fish first - depending on the fish I'd either steam, poach or cook in foil (bake, steam, poach) the fish and use the cooking liquor/juices as part of the liquid measurement in the recipe.:-))

245sam, Feb 20, 3:04am
gregg74 wrote:
If I was to make a fish/pasta bake fish pie type thing with fresh fish would I cook it first (steam it maybe!)[/quote

gregg74, I would cook the fish first - depending on the fish I'd either steam, poach or cook in foil (bake, steam, poach) the fish and use the cooking liquor/juices as part of the liquid measurement in the recipe BUT this thought depends on the recipe being used and how long it will be cooked.If you simply substitute raw fresh fish for cooked fish you may find that you have more liquid than normal (i.e. a runnier end product than normal) because of the juices that will be released from the fish as it cooks.:-))

buzzy110, Feb 20, 3:50am
I don't think using fresh fish in a pasta or fish bake is a good way to use fresh fish, personally. Fish takes no time at all to cook and once it is overcooked it goes dry and chewy with no taste. In the past 2 weeks I have seen and tasted some pretty damn awful things done by people to beautiful, fresh out of the water, fish, and mostly, they involved overcooking or cooking at too high a temperature.

rainrain1, Feb 20, 4:40am
Well I would cook the pasta first, make your sauces and mix in the pasta and about 1 inch pieces of raw fish.bake approx 20 to 25 minutes, more or less.:-)

gregg74, Feb 20, 6:37am
Thanks!It worked well I steamed it and had lots of flavour with the other ingredients so was pretty tasty.My two 14 month olds hoovered it back, the 4 year old wasn't so keen but he prefers red meat like his dad, although no complaints from DH so must have been ok!

gregg74, Feb 20, 6:38am
Oh I should have said it wasn't fresh, fresh fish - we'd been given a heap by a neighbour who takes his boat out, so this had been frozen and wasn't the pick of the bunch.