LEEKS - What can I do other than in white sauce?

Page 2 / 2
lizab, Jun 10, 9:23pm
when travelling through France on the way to Spain on a family holiday nearly 30 yrs ago, we stayed a night at an old farm house. The French wife cooked us a beautiful meal of leeks wrapped in ham and baked in a white wine sauce with cheese. I was only 15 at the time, but I can still remember it, it was delicious! ! ! I must ask mum if she still has the recipe the French lady gave her, although it sounds easy enough to make without one.

kcak, Jun 10, 11:05pm
oooh, yum!

motorbo, Jun 11, 12:04am
i now have the urge for leeks, bacon, chicken, mushrooms and thyme... . . hmmm yummm dinner tonight! !

cookessentials, Jun 11, 12:59am
GLAZED LEEKS

6 slim leeks
large knob of butter
½ cup good chicken stock
¼ tsp salt

Trim leeks to fit a large heavy-based frying pan. Cut in half down the length, wash well, letting the water run inside the leaves to dislodge dirt, then put them in a frying pan.

Dot leeks with butter, pour in the chicken stock and season with the salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring to a gentle boil, partially cover with a lid and cook gently for about 15 minutes, or until tender, turning the leeks once or twice.

Transfer the leeks to a heated serving dish. If there is a lot of liquid in the pan, reduce it quickly over a high heat and pour it over the leeks. Serve immediately

fiddles3, Jul 27, 1:06pm
I fry sliced leeks & red capsicum slowly in a little olive oil with lid on pan, about 10mins then remove lid & slosh in some balsamic and cook for another 5 mins. Nice!