Does any one have a good recipe for wallaby

niall, Jan 28, 11:05pm
I am looking for a recipe for cooking wallaby in the crock pot, does anyone have any good recopes please.

elliehen, Jan 29, 12:46am
Until someone comes in, have you Googled!Here's an industry site from OZ.

http://www.kangaroo-industry.asn.au/recipes/recipe_frame.htm

beaker59, Jan 29, 2:59am
I am told that any of the ox tail type recipes work very well with Wallaby tail I have never shot one so can't comment further. I am keen to try one day though.

rainrain1, Jan 29, 3:47am
don't forget to take out the hops, skips and jumps

tahnasha, Jan 29, 6:34am
Blerk, I tried kangaroo steaks, not keen on it.Emu was nicer.

niall, Jan 29, 6:49am
Thank you for your help.Will google further, kept finding kangaroo and mainly the prime cuts.

shop-a-holic, Jan 29, 8:32pm
May I presume you are using the leg, or tail!
When I cook Wallaby, I brine it before hand, adding moisture and flavour. Skippy's cousin is will always be a little tough, and I always undercook it.
My recipe contains a few other elements which you can decide whether to use or not. I'm just being lazy and copying and pasting the recipe from my PC.

He warapi o Otematata me he koura o Te Waipounamu (South Island Wallaby with Wairau Koura)

Oven baked Wallaby in a Winter Ale; on smoked root vegetables; served with poached fresh New Zealand Koura;Wild Mushroom Gratin and Piko Piko; Wild Honeycomband a smouldering Cinnamon Quill.

shop-a-holic, Jan 29, 8:35pm
Ingredients
For the Wallaby Brine:
4.5 litres Water
350gms plain table Salt (non-iodised)
250gms dark Muscovado Sugar
5 Bay Leaves (torn)
10gms Peppercorns
5gms Coriander Seeds
5gms Cumin Seeds
5gms Caraway Seeds
2gms Fennel Seeds
25gms Juniper Berries

For the Wild Mushroom Gratin:
240gms Wild Mushrooms
300ml Cream
1 Cup Chicken Stock
3 Egg Yolks
3-4 Shallots
3-4 Cloves of Garlic
Bunch finely chopped Chives
Salt & Pepper to taste
Freshly grated Nutmeg
Pecorino Cheese (use a microplane)

Cooking the Wallaby:
1 x 330ml bottle of Dark Winter Ale
2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Allspice
1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
1 x XL Oven Bag
Meat Thermometre

Cookingthe Vegetables:
Use a medley of quartered Red Onions, yellow Carrots, Yams, chopped Zucchinis, smashed cloves of Garlic, Tomatoes left on the vine, ½ teaspoon liquid smoke; salt, freshly ground pepper; Olive Oil.

To Garnish:
Micro Green salad, Piko Piko fronds, Golden Needle Mushroom, Oyster Mushrooms, Poached Koura (in salted boiling water), and Wild Honeycomb, Cinnamon Quills, Pecorino cheese (or another hard similar cheese), kitchen Blow Torch.

Method
Brining the Wallaby: Weigh your meat. In a large pot, dissolve Salt and Sugar. Using a Mortar and Pestle grind Seeds and smashed Juniper Berries. Simmer for 2 minutes. Allow Brine to completely cool. Line a bucket which will fit into your fridge with an XL sized Oven Bag, add the Wallaby and brine. Tie the bag and submerge the entire Denver leg. Place in the fridge for one day per kilo of Wallaby.
Poaching Koura: In a large pot with salted water, cook the Koura for 2-3 minutes. Remove, drain and place in fridge until required.
Gratin: Fry off in Olive Oil and Butter, finely chopping shallots and garlic. Set aside and cool. Whisk 3 Egg Yolks til pale, add Cream, whip to soft peaks. Fold in Shallots and Garlic; Mushrooms and chopped Chives. Pour mixture in an oven proof dish and place in fridge until required.
To Cook the Wallaby: Remove from the brine and rinse well under running water. Using another Oven bag, add the contents of one bottle of Dark Beer, Brown Sugar, Allspice and Liquid Smoke. Roast at 330F for 1 hour 15 minutes or until a meat thermometre reads an internal temperature of 142F. Rest after roasting for 45 minutes covered in 4 sheets foil. Strain the liquid from the oven bag and reserve in a pot on the stove top for jus.
Add the roasting tray of vegetables (as above) to the oven and cook, 15 minutes prior to removing Wallaby.
Add Gratin mixture to the oven 15 minutes before serving to heat through.
To Serve: Spoon the hot Gratin into either Ramekins or a food stacking ring. Using a microplane, grate Pecorino cheese on top. Turn on blow torch and grill Pecorino. Garnish the top with micro greens, Golden Needle and Oyster Mushrooms, and Piko Piko fronds.
Add the roast vegetables to the plate, carve and slice the wallaby and place on top of the vegetables. Place a Koura on top of stack. Spoon over jus. Place Honeycomb on plate. Using blow torch, alight Cinnamon Quills and snuff out to create smoke.