Hansell's Jam setting mix.

korbo, Jan 21, 6:33pm
Has anyone had trouble using this, and the jam not setting.
The packet says to use 1.750k of fruit and only 1.1kg of sugar.
I always thought it was kilo for kilo.
thanks.

pickles7, Jan 21, 8:31pm
I think this came up a few weeks ago. The person had a problem with jam not setting, using that product.
Maybe it is time to learn to make our own pectin again.I may do so, myself this year, just as something to do.
I believe you do need to use a preserving pan to make jam in, it is the only pan that has the width to allow, good evaporation. You also get a good rolling boil, with out it boiling over.

****** test for pectin
1 tsp of juice, 3 tsp of methylated spirits. shake gently leave 1 minute, . The juice will clot firmly if there is enough pectin. If it doesn't it may pay to add some.

jam testing

sugar thermometer test for jam.
Boil until 111 C or 222 f. put jam into hot jars, put the lids on while hot.

King.jam setting.mix.pectin base.Handy to have in your pantry.
By the sounds of things this product is not available now.

wineo, Jan 21, 9:36pm
I use this product regularly for jam thatdoes not set and have not had a problem, Ido not mix in a pot, I put into a jug add boiling water between 1/4 to 1/2 cupadd to boiling jam and within 10 mins it is normally at setting point.thank you picklesfor anothertip on how to test,

pickles7, Jan 21, 10:13pm
.wineo.the thermometer test, I use without the Jam setting mix.
I have tested for pectin, it is easy.

greerg, Jan 21, 10:22pm
I use this product for raspberry jam as I like to use the boil for three minutes, stir for 20 method to keep the colour bright.I don't use anything except lemon juice for jams that are boiled longer.I made raspberry jam yesterday which has set perfectly.I agree with Pickles about the preserving pan and may have to bite the bullet and buy a stainless steel one as Mum's old aluminium one sticks impossibly now.My jam sets Ok in a stockpot but sauces and chutneys take quite a bit longer I find.

pickles7, Jan 21, 10:47pm
Not sure about the st/ steel pans. greerg,. The cost is way over the top, and they will stick just the same. You won't get a guarantee against them sticking.
I have several pans, none of them stick. Solid bottoms are the best.
My very best one weighs 2.5 kgs.
Once a pot has been burned, they tend to always burn.
Use a thermometer to test jam, you will be surprised at how fast some jams, jell. By using the thermometer you lessen the risk of burning.
I use an old one just for sauces.

korbo, Jan 21, 11:56pm
Pickles and others.
When making your jam, how much sugar per kilo of fruit do you use.!

indy95, Jan 22, 12:08am
Korbo, it depends what fruit you are using to make the jam. I always used to add exactly the quantity of sugar stated in whichever recipe I was using but now I add enough to suit my taste plus lemon juice or citric acid or grated apple to help with setting. I still find that the jams set and keep perfectly well and if you are worried whether they will keep you can always store them in the freezer.

pickles7, Jan 22, 1:15am
I used equal sugar to cooked pulp. Never followed a recipe, learned from watching and helping my Gran., my jam always set.

lythande1, Jan 22, 3:02am
Cook your fruit and sugar with a spoonful of lemon juice. After a while, put a bit on a plate to cool. Tip it, if it runs off, cook longer. repeat till it stays. Simple and always works.

korbo, Jan 22, 8:17am
Hi juliwn.yep, fine as can be. had ALL my family, including 4 grandies under 3yrs for 12 days over the christmas break. it was fantastic, Now into normal days, and looking forward to preserving etc.
I have been using the jam mix, but only 1/2 packet. Made tasty plum jam from plums picked in blenheim on the side of the road. Oh so tarty, and very nice. take care.

guest, Nov 24, 4:51am
Hi, I am looking for a recipe on Rose petal Jam. I have one that says 1 pkt or sure jell. Would this be the same as 1 pkt of Hansells Jam Settign Mix?