Hi all, I have a question.

mauriora7, Jan 16, 5:40am
Can I freeze cooked meat! I cooked a jai-normous leg of pork on the weekend, and there's so much left over. Iv sliced up the pork, so will it be okay to put into freezer. Thanks.

rainrain1, Jan 16, 5:45am
you can, but it would be nicer frozen in gravy rather than on its own, what do others think

davidt4, Jan 16, 5:59am
Yes, much better if coveredin liquid before freezing.If you don't have any gravy you could either make some with chicken stock, butter and flour, or you could cover the meat with plain chicken stock and use the stock to make a gravy when you thaw the meat.

mauriora7, Jan 16, 6:02am
Wow, thanks very much for those suggestions, i never would have thought to do that so much appreciated!

onekiwigirl, Jan 16, 10:04pm
Yes, I regularly good two pork roasts in oven bags and then when fully cooked I break it up into little pieces, well it just crumbles up anyway without any liquid or gravy. Then when cold I bag the broken pieces of pork/chicken or beef into one large zip lock bag and freeze it into a flat layer so one can easily break off lumps of frozen meat. So no gravy needed I do use the liquid, I guess that could be frozen separate for use later.

The idea for me is that I know that I always have this frozen ready cooked meat that I can add to any meal instantaneously without defrosting in what ever volume I want into any dish I want.I regularly add some of this precooked meat into a quick stew, a rice dish or a stir fry without defrosting it and it works really well.Cheers

onekiwigirl, Jan 16, 10:07pm
The other thing is that there is only two of us and this is a way to save the left over meat and use when I want it.Cheers

samsnan, Jan 16, 11:14pm
I always freeze leftover gravys. Along with the leftover frozen meat you can make another roast meal very quickly. Always have spare lamb,pork and chicken gravy in my freezer. I reheat the meat with gravy over it on a low heat in the microwave. Just 2 of us I would heat it for about 10mins so it is really hot.