Baking that freezes well - ideas appreicated!

dinkypinky, Jan 5, 8:30am
Going camping next week and keen to take baking - making a whole lot of stuff this weekend, freezing it then packing around ice into chilli bin.Any ideas appreciated!esp biscuits, cakes, cupcakes.Anything to save money for my hungry teens!:)

cookessentials, Jan 5, 8:36am
Do you actually want the recipes! or just some ideas! We do have a great cakes thread and quite a number of the are ideal to freeze. The lemon yoghurt cake for instance will stay moist easily for a week without being frozen.

babytears, Jan 5, 8:36am
All depending on how long you're going away for, biscuits wont need freezing at all, just kept cool in a chilly bin will suffice

cookessentials, Jan 5, 8:38am
Sorry, deleted that as I doubled up somehow.

dinkypinky, Jan 5, 8:45am
just ideas of slices/cakes would be fine - ones that freeze and defrost OK.
I was thinking of chocolate biscuit fudge slice (uncooked) and other similar ones like citrus slice.do you think the icing would freeze OK!

dinkypinky, Jan 5, 8:46am
I can look through my numerous receipt books for recipes - it was really just the types of baking.cheers

turtlet, Jan 5, 8:59am
Chocolate chip type biscuits and shortbread are good for camping.Also fruit cake.

245sam, Jan 5, 9:10am
dinkypinky, I agree with babytears that "biscuits won't need freezing at all" however most baking will actually freeze ok, although freezing iced items is not something I have ever done but a slice that I can recommend as being a very successful option to freeze is Caramel Crumble or the very similar slice, Tan Slice/Fingers.
We have been camping for almost 40 years and taking previously frozen baking is not something I have ever done or found necessary.Instead I chose items that would keep well if kept in airtight containers in a cool place.
Hope your camping holiday goes well and is an enjoyable experience for all.:-))

dice4, Jan 5, 9:14am
muffins and cakes freeze well. (including a basic choc icing)

paxie1, Jan 5, 11:48pm
ginger crunch is good to freeze (wth icing is fine).

dinkypinky, Jan 6, 3:44am
thanks all for ideas - will get baking this weekend!:)

cookessentials, Jan 6, 6:10am
Some of the basic fruit loaves freeze and keep well. One with sanbran, sugar, milk etc is basic, eay and makes two loaves. Pumpkin loaf keeps well as it also uses oil like the lemon yghurt cake and it makes two large loaves.

cookessentials, Jan 6, 6:11am
Pam's Pumpkin Loaves (makes two)
Ingredients:
3 cups of castor sugar
1 cup salad/sunflower oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
3 & 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup water
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
(tsp of spices do not need to be level - up to you, but I like spicy.)
500g pumpkin,cooked and mashed
(cut pumpkin into big chunks-leave the skin on and put into a microwave proof dish with a little water and cover with gladwrap-leave a loose corner for steam to escape. Cook for 8-9 minutes-just be careful removing the wrap-its hot! When it is cool enough to handle, slice the skin off with a sharp paring knife).
Method:
Cream sugar and oil with electric mixer in LARGE bowl, add eggs and pumpkin,mix well. Sift dry ingredients and add alternately with the water. Grease and flour your loaf tins. When you fill them, they will be close to the top of the tin. Using a cup to get mixture into tins -gets them even. Bake at 175c for 1 & 1/2 hours. Let them stand 10 minutes before turning out. NOTE:These will rise VERY high in the tin, so don't panic. I test mine with a skewer in the middle because they sometimes need a little extra time. They freeze beautifully and they keep moist for ages too.

duckmoon, Jan 6, 6:40am
How long are you camping for!

Things like biscuits will last a week in an air tight tin.(well, they will last until my children see they are there, and then eaten quickly!!)

cookessentials, Jan 8, 9:32am
Hope the weather holds for you guys

dinkypinky, Jan 8, 9:42am
thanks all!yes - the weather is an issue!leaving on 12th or 13th and heading to Coromandel area - here's hoping some sun comes our way!

dinkypinky, Jan 8, 9:44am
I was thinking of making some slices from biscuit crumbs (citrus / chocolate etc) and freezing them un-iced.Hopefully will be OK!Will also make cookies and loaves as described above.Thanks all for ideas :)

cgvl, Jan 8, 8:22pm
freezing muffins and cake is a good idea. I find that the muffins inparticular don't keep very well at all. Alright if eaten within a day or two but mine tend to go mouldy by day 4.
Biscuits and a light fruit cake or loaf keep well. We usually camp for up to 10days and often don't have a power source so rely on chilly bins to keep things cold.

cookessentials, Jan 8, 9:43pm
Shortbread also keeps very well. Hope the weather clears and you have a fab trip.