When is a tin of sardines not a tin of sardines.

Page 1 / 2
petal1955, Dec 29, 7:22pm
Change brands

rainrain1, Dec 29, 7:24pm
holy cow, blue cod!

datoofairy, Dec 29, 7:24pm
When is a tin of sardines not a tin of sardines!A tin of sardines is NEVER a tin of sardines as there is no such fish as a sardine.

friendly_prawn, Dec 29, 7:24pm
nah, I like my brunswick.
cant seem to stomache the taste of the others.

rainrain1, Dec 29, 7:27pm
yes brunswick here too in oil, very nice indeedy

friendly_prawn, Dec 29, 7:27pm
well miss clever pants.10 points. You should enter a quiz show. lol

"Sardines, or pilchards, are several types of small, oily fish related to herrings, family Clupeidae.[1] Sardines are named after the Mediterranean island of Sardinia, around which they were once abundant.[2]"

datoofairy, Dec 29, 7:35pm
I love quiz shows, trivia is my 'thing' :o)

dreamers, Dec 29, 8:20pm
Have eaten fresh sardines in Europe.

nfh1, Dec 29, 8:41pm
Memories ------- we used to holiday in Portugal and often had lunch in Portimao - sardines straight off the boats, cooked on numerous BBQ Restaurants/Cafes around the port - lovely.

richard198, Dec 29, 9:09pm
I'd be taking a tin like that back to shop. It must be under weight! (We like the lemon flavoured Brunswick sardines)

jbsouthland, Dec 29, 9:13pm
I dislike the pull tab thingee.gets me smelling of them every time!

elliehen, Dec 29, 10:05pm
The problem is that those are fat!I like the skinny ones 'packed in like sardines'.

buzzy110, Dec 29, 10:17pm
Good point about the weight. I might start taking any tins I buy over to the bulk food dept and weight them on the scales and then complaining to the store about any that are underweight.

kuaka, Dec 29, 11:52pm
On a slightly different topic, I do a lot of handcrafts and recently bought 14 x 100gm balls of yarn.When I got home I thought one of them felt a bit skinny, weighed it and it was only 72gm.I weighed them all, most were around 99 to 102gm, one was 118gm.Of course there were two balls of 7 different colours and the overweight one was a different colour to the underweight one, so in the last few days I had to buy another one.I mentioned it and they sent me two instead of one.

friendly_prawn, Dec 29, 11:59pm
I struck a problem similar a while ago and emailed the company. I was sent a voucher which was cool.
I also emailed Brunswick or their company a couple of weeks back, thought I would just give them a heads up. And possibly get another free voucher. heh heh. But no, no reply.
You would think they would have some one keeping an eye on their complaint department. I guess even they need christmas.Oh well.

daleaway, Dec 30, 12:00am
Bit like whitebait, hmm! Different types of fish in different places, all with the same name. Even in New Zealand whitebait are the young of about 12 types of fish. Sardines in European countries tend to be the big fat ones. Fitting the small varieties into tins is easier.

destiny6nz, Dec 30, 12:53am
i love sardines! with fresh tomato, cucumber, lettuce

can only eat on toast with avacado instead of butter cause too oily

Omega 6!

elliehen, Dec 30, 1:02am
In the older Edmonds books there's a recipe for Sardine Savoury, a sardine eggy mix with Worcestershire sauce.

buzzy110, Dec 30, 2:42am
More likely the oil in the sardines is omega 3. The canola oil it is in is definitely omega 6. Avocado oil is a combination of omega 9, 6 & 3.

market1, Dec 30, 7:45am
Are you meant to remove the black thread like thing in each. I eat them from the tin as a snack.

otterhound, Dec 30, 8:14am
I buy the same brand of sardines for my dog (I know it's a bit OTT but it's her source of omegas) and also notice that they no longer come "packed like sardines" like they used to when I was a kid.The way they look now sort of puts me off eating them, where I used to love them mashed with heaps of vinegar and piled on hot toast.I remember taking sardine sandwiches to school and, funnily enough, ending up sitting on my own at lunchtime=)

friendly_prawn, Dec 30, 7:27pm
I actually always thought a sardine was a type of fish.
well miss clever pants.10 points. You should enter a quiz show. lol

"Sardines, or pilchards, are several types of small, oily fish related to herrings, family Clupeidae.[1] Sardines are named after the Mediterranean island of Sardinia, around which they were once abundant.[2]"

dreamers, Dec 30, 8:20pm
Have eaten fresh sardines in Europe.Grilled with fresh bread,divine.

whitehead., Dec 30, 10:48pm
ive known people to use a bit of wool out of a ball then return it to the shop as unused and get their money back if they can get away with it

beaker59, Dec 30, 11:48pm
I have a tin of sardines every day for lunch when I am working for health reasons, I have the ones in water rather than oil I seem to recall the brunswick ones were in soya oil which is why I switched to water. The pams and brunswick ones are both from canada and identical so I suspect they come off the same production line so I buy whatever is cheapest on the day.

They do vary in size, sometimes lots of little ones and sometimes fewer big ones I suspect they are right weight when packed but then cooked in the tin so shrink as in some converts to juice mix the juice in and it would all be the same. I gues the size thing depends on the catch of the day they are a schooling fish and tend to be all the similar size in a school guess like all NATURAL products it depends on what turns up.