Advice please re a ham.

esther-anne, Dec 19, 12:23am
I have never glazed a ham before - in fact often we don't have one.This year I am responsible for the turkey and ham to take to my daughter's place.

I have purchased a Freedom Farms wood-smoked boneless leg ham - vacuum packed.It seems not to have a layer of fat - can I just glaze it anyway!And if so can anyone suggest a savoury glaze!I feel the usual apricot/marmalade/maple syrup etc will be too sweet for our taste.

I have done a MB search-lots of glazes-but can't find what I am looking for.

I can't believe I have reached my advanced age and never glazed a ham but sadly it is so. lol

ellie_m, Dec 19, 1:05am
Have you tried recipe sites! These often have user pictures of end result etc so you can see if they have the fat/no fat. And they also have a wider range of glazes

craig04, Dec 19, 1:39am
Seems very odd to have a ham with no fat on it - I've never come across that before, mind you I don't cook ham that often anyway. You could try a soy sauce/honey/mustard mixture or this one which I found on allrecipes.com and sounds much less sweet than usual.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/annettes-great-ham-glaze/detail.aspx

grannymum, Dec 19, 3:46am
Have you thought of ringing Freedom Farms & asking someone there! I am sure they would be more than happy to help. This is their website http://www.freedomfarms.co.nz/& phone (09) 366 0448

esther-anne, Dec 19, 6:23am
Great suggestions-thank you so much.Thank you especially grannymum for the link - must admit I had not thought of ringing them.

ellie_m-this forum is usually my first port of call before I start googling.However I have done so now and found a great sounding glaze using buttermilk, mustard and paprika which I have printed off.

Craig I am just peering at this meat through it's vacuum pack lol - maybe when I open it properly I will find some fat.I thought I was supporting uncaged pigs by buying this but it has got me puzzled.Thanks for the link-will print that one of too.

Off to look at freedom farm site now.