Tarte Tatin

Page 2 / 4
knowsley, Dec 17, 3:35am
Probably in poor form to quote my own post, but I just checked in Moore Wilson todaythedollshouse, and the large Emile Henry dish is $113.

cookessentials, Dec 17, 3:55am
There you go.trot along to Moore Wilson.be careful there though knowlsey, you will be accused of advertiding for Moore Wilson next LOL

punkinthefirst, Dec 17, 5:22am
Tarte Tatin
Caramelize 100 gms sugar in a frying pan that can be used in the oven, to a light chestnut colour. You can add a little Calvados if you wish. Add 50 gms cubed butter. Arrange firm dessert apples which have been peeled, cut in half and cored, cut side down in the caramel, and cook gently for five minutes until apples are softened.
Cover with a round of 0.5 cm thick puffpastry which has been cut 5 cm bigger all round than the pan - tuck the edges down well. Bake at 190 degrees C., 25 - 30 minutes.
Turn out onto a plate, so that the pastry is on the bottom. Be careful not to burn yourself. Serve with cream, clotted cream, creme fraiche or ice cream.

Please tell me why this is so complicated that it needs an expensive specialized pan to make it. My old-fashioned cast iron frying pans work perfectly every time!

cookessentials, Dec 17, 5:46am
Another uli/buzzy in the making LOL

elliehen, Dec 17, 6:17am
You can't hazard a guess!

Mine is that some people might like an oven-to-table dish!

I use my cast iron frying pan too, but I don't begrudge others their choice of a more elegant pan.

punkinthefirst, Dec 17, 6:36am
Ah, OK.
I turn my tart out on to a serving dish or make individual tarts in my teeniest pans and turn them out onto the pudding plates. Never gave it a thought that people wouldn't turn them out!

punkinthefirst, Dec 17, 6:43am
What was that snipe for! I presume that was a snipe, given the antipathy you all have for each other. I'm my own person, thanks, and I don't want a bar of these petty squabbles.

cookessentials, Dec 17, 7:03am
So why add to it in the same tone of voice as those two! The OP asked about the baking dish and a recipe, which, I have given, it then went down hill from there.I gave the info, not a sales pitch. People DO actually have a choice here you know.if you like doing it in a cast iron pan, brilliant.I prefer the other method, it will be up to the OP to choose which method they prefer no doubt.

pickles7, Dec 17, 7:17am
An old copper bottomed fry pan with the plastic handle taken off is ideal. The right depth for a tarte tatin pan, and will withstand the heat.

punkinthefirst, Dec 17, 7:44am
Exactly. Our recipes are similar. The OP asked about a pan. Not all of us are able to buy a special pan for one dish.I was giving them an alternative.

nala2, Dec 17, 8:16am
It is funny how when cookessentials goes overseas the arguments stop, posters still disagree while she is away but it is not inflamed by her throwing petrol on the the fire.

cookessentials, Dec 17, 8:26am
Oh Alan, you talk through a hole in your head. You very rarely come here and when you do, you are always obnoxious. You obviously dont have a clue what you are talking about. The only time there are ever any "arguments" as you call them is when the usual few continue to stir the pot which they have done for many years. If you think that it is right that the likes of uli,buzzy,pickles continue to be completely rude and condescending to a large number of posters on the boards, then you are not much better. Your attitude was shown only a few days ago on another thread, so please dont start throwing your weight around on here, thanks.

nala2, Dec 17, 8:45am
I stopped posting when all the arguments started ( mainly by you). You think by offering a helping hand and being "nice" you can use that as a foil for you pokinga stick at other posters Why don't you try just for 6 months to only offer positiveposts, no digs no jibes no "I wish we could get rid of some of the people on this MB".
See what happens you maybe surprised. The only negative posts from me have been in response to your "digs" . Look my posts up.

bill241, Dec 17, 8:53am
I've never tried it because all my frypans are plastic handled but when I find a cast iron one I will give it a go, thanks for this. I've been looking for one of those cool old enamel-coated cast iron ones, my gran had one but she threw it out! Who on earth just throws out frying pans!

nala2, Dec 17, 8:54am
Your attitude was shown only a few days ago on another thread, so please dont start throwing your weight around on here, thanks.

This is the last post you are referring to

Yes, I am sure you can "unfriend" people.shame you cant get rid of them on here as well ! LOL. I will have a look and see if I can see how it's done.
cookessentials (1186 )7:38 pm, Fri 9 Dec #5097

Like I said "Why don't you stop the digs"
I think my post was a positive post

moreorless, Dec 17, 8:55am
Hey cookessentials, further up post 11 you mentioned a pastry recipe, I would love it, if you get time to post it. Thanks.

elliehen, Dec 17, 9:38am
I bought a cast iron pan without a wooden handle especially so that I could switch it from oven to stove top and back again.

I have a special little Le Creuset 'sleeve' that is designed to fit over the handle for lifting when it's too hot to touch - which is mostly ;)

pickles7, Dec 17, 9:40am
Yes it is, a lot of "posters" drop off while She is away.

wheelz, Dec 17, 10:02am
goodness me ! All over a recipe and a little advice.A lot of this thread should not have been said.

elliehen, Dec 17, 10:06am
On the subject of recipes, wheelz, am pleased you fixed that link.Your pudding looks interesting :)

cookessentials, Dec 17, 6:56pm
Alan, why not actually put up what was said and the context of the discussion between Earthangel and myself! This was on the "Circle of friends" thread, however, you did not post the whole conversation, just the bit you that you think will make me look nasty like the rest of you. So for your benefit, I shall put it here for you.just as a wee reminder and then I shall add the nasty jibe you put on the following page.just to keep it honest . I dont have to "feign" niceness like some othershere, I come here to offer help if and when I can and always have, however, if you think I will sit back while the likes of uli,buzzy,pickles and you ( when the mood takes you) want to walk rough shod over myself and others, then you are sorely mistaken. Never been a bully in my life and have always helped where I can, I am not here to live up to your expectations.

earthangel4 wrote:

Winniw what a lovely surprise,that would of made my day.
Have a good one all.
Pam I might rejoin face book,and stay away from the nasties.
I miss my friends so much.

Just be very selective with whom you have as a friend EA. I only let people I know onto my page.

cookessentials (1186 )11:30 am, Fri 9 Dec #5094

cookessentials wrote:

Just be very selective with whom you have as a friend EA. I only let people I know onto my page.

Thank you Pam can you delete old friends off,that are causing me some trouble at work,just don,t want to be talking to them,when I work with them,so much gossip going around,that I do not want to be part of it.
A lovely day here in Grey,still have a very sick dh,has had kidney stones since Sunday sign.

earthangel4 (157 )12:46 pm, Fri 9 Dec #5095

Now, this was my answer and earthangel knows exactly what I meant because she gets ridden over rough shod by the likes of uli and buzzy who love to belittle her at any opportunity.

THEN, we got YOUR comment which is just below
cookessentials wrote:

Yes, I am sure you can "unfriend" people.shame you cant get rid of them on here as well ! LOL]

Can't help yourself can you, always somebody else at fault.

nala2 (69 )8:26 am, Sun 11 Dec #5101

Now, you can be as negative and as nasty as you like, it does not bother me. I do the best that I can, offer what help that I can and I will always be the kind person that I am. I dont have to "pretend" to be nice and I also dont have to convince you or anyone else otherwise. Try taking a look at the circle of friends thread after your nasty post.take a look at the nasty postings put up by buzzy110 in regards to another very lovely lady and take a look at the answers and then tell ME I poke the stick at other posters! There are 3-4 "nasties" hereon this recipe board and from memory, they are the only ones I have ever said anything to in regards to their behaviour, so might pay to get your facts straight before pointing the finger.

cookessentials, Dec 17, 6:57pm
Hi moreoreless, by all means, however, I wont post it on here, the thread has been done to death so I shall put up a thread with Tarte Tatin Pastry as the heading for you.

cookessentials, Dec 17, 6:59pm
Its funny how you dont read any of the posts above your eyebrows.

punkinthefirst, Dec 17, 9:15pm
I've had a set of 3 different-sized cast iron frying pans since I was married, 45 years ago. Unfortunately, a friend got the middle-sized one red hot, and, instead of just turning it offhe poured cold water into it. The pan went CRACK! - right across the middle. so I've been looking for another set, ever since. Long story short - they were in Briscoes a few weeks ago for $36 for the 3, so I grabbed another set. I think they had a load of different sizes available as single pans, too. They're pre-seasoned, as well - just need a wash to remove the dust, drying, and a light oil. I may get a couple more of the 5 inch pans. They're cheap enough and will last me for the rest of my days!

kay141, Dec 17, 9:26pm
There are some very nasty people on these boards. I've had abusive texts which seemed to have stopped once I got the police involved and a couple of posters who follow me onto other boards.