Tarte Tatin

Page 1 / 4
pickles7, Jan 1, 2:31am
for the plum, Tarte tatin

olishea, Mar 14, 12:44am
Well all of these posts made me giggle. was after a recipe and got more than i bargained for, thanks for the recipe and the entertainment!

whitehead., Mar 15, 6:56am
i use a first world war fry pan all made of tin must have cost all of a shilling 90 years ago works well

olishea, Mar 15, 9:12pm
Thank u :)

thedollshouse, Dec 14, 2:42am
I thought I might give this a go this year. Does anyone have a recipe that is tried and true for an apple or apricot or pear tarte tatin! What about the baking dish. The ones I have aren't suitable, are they reasonable to buy! Thks

cookessentials, Dec 14, 6:35am
Emile Henry Flame series tarte tatin dish is the only way to go. It comes with the recipe. You basically place the dish onto your heat source on low and add caster sugar. Let it melt, then remove from heat, add butter and stir well. Place peeled and cut apples cut side up into the dish,then sprinkle with caster sugar and dot with butter. Pastry on top and then ito the oven. Once cooked, remove from oven and let it rest for ten minutes. Place the serving dish ( which comes with the set) over the top and turn upsode down and you're done. You can watch how it works here
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=tTCVLNAtWqc There are two sizes. I have the larger one and they are around $170

knowsley, Dec 14, 7:22am
The Emile Henry ones are available from Moore Wilson in Wellington, thedollshouse. I paid around $130 for mine. As far as I know, there is only the one size.

stevee6, Dec 14, 7:25am
We use a small frying pan you can put in the oven. Works for us.

cookessentials, Dec 14, 7:47am
Definately two sizes knowsley. The smaller one is ok, but not really big enough for more than two people. I have the larger one. Someone also gave me a recipe from the Country Calendar cookbookfor apricot tarte tatin, using fresh aprictos. I am making it for Christmas day.

knowsley, Dec 14, 7:54am
Are you sure - checking the various websites only lists one size, but two colours.

cookessentials, Dec 14, 8:19am
Yes, as I sell them. Most retailers have the onw size, but I can assure, you there are two. As for the frypan, the method of doing tarte tatin using that is too long and involved. I much prefer doing it the way above as shown. The smaller tarte tatin is around $140

thedollshouse, Dec 14, 9:24am
Thank you everyone!

shop-a-holic, Dec 14, 10:06am
All you need is a frypan which is ovenproof. No fancy other pans.

ian53, Dec 14, 7:25pm
Hi,
I have found this recipe for tarte tatin from market kitchen the easiest one I've used so far, with the same results if not better than others I have tried.
http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/629691
Cookessentials can you tell me if the Emile Henry tatre tatin dish works on an induction cook top. I purchased an Emile Henry pizza stone, which is the best pizza stone I have ever used, and looks good as well, without staining.

cookessentials, Dec 15, 8:44am
Hi ian53, you will need the plate from Emile Henry so that you can use your tarte tatin, tagine or pizza stone on an induction hob. I cant remember how much they are ( my price book is in the shop) I like the simplicity of the Emile Henry flame series. I use the tagine and tarte tatin regularly. I also have the risotto pot and I am considering the pizza stone. The tarte tatin using their dish is super easy and so much easier than the usual method of making tarte tatin. ( Did you see the link above for the tarte tatin!) I have a fabulous pastry recipe for it too, which is buttery and rich.

ian53, Dec 15, 7:21pm
Thanks cookessentials,I will definitely try your recommended recipe for tarte tatin. I see the Emile Henry pizza stone has just arrived in NZ, I tried to find one in NZ after reading several reviews on it onAmerican cooking sites, my partner finally got one for me from Amazon, I can highly recommend it.

pickles7, Dec 15, 8:41pm
you don't recognise, an advert !.ian53.

ian53, Dec 15, 9:09pm
I don't visit this message board regularly because of those sorts of comments.I am a keen home cook and that's all I do, I'm very sorry that you read into my posting that was trying to peddle a product, which i searched high and low for. I will now keep my apparently ill informed comments to myself, obviously you know it all. You must be a very bitter and twisted person.I thought I was being informative but you are very opinionated so I really should just ignore your pettyness. I have only posted messages on this board on 3-4 occasions, so if you care to read them you would see I have nothing to do with any sort of advertising, but i don't think you have enough brain cells to locate them. I thought this was an interesting thread, and thought Ihad something helpul to offer, I could not have been more wrong. I won't bother anymore.

punkinthefirst, Dec 15, 10:53pm
Use a small frying pan which can be put in the oven.
That's all the Tartin sisters used. You don't have to buy an expensive pan for every dish you make!

pickles7, Dec 15, 11:33pm
you go off just like .cookessentials .same attitude, comprehension, spelling, and inability to refrain from writing long winded put downs, that really only show herself up.
eg; all copied from post 14 as typed.
your pettyness, you are very opinionated, obviously you know it all, i don't think you have enough brain cells,I'm very sorry that you read into my posting that was trying to peddle a product. I have nothing to do with any sort of advertising, thought I had something helpul to offer.

cookessentials, Dec 15, 11:34pm
Hi ian, that is a shame. Sadly, many people wont re-visit the recipe section because of these sorts of comments made by this poster and a few others ( lukily, only a few) Lets hope you visit again and just ignore this poster and others of the same ilk, they seem to get perverse pleasure from it somehow. If you would like the recipe for the pastry, let me on

know, I would be more than happy to share it with you. Have a wonderful Christmas.

ian53, Dec 16, 2:02am
I should just ignore it, but I have come to the conclusion, that whatever pickles is, he /she was either bullied at school and this is their way of getting their own back but the more likely case he / she was the bully. I won't be back.But thanks cookessentials, you havea great Christmas as well.

cookessentials, Dec 16, 7:17pm
You too ian53. Sad that your few experiences of the recipe section have been spoilt by this nasty poster. You can always ask me for the recipe on one of my auctions and I will post it for you there.

buzzy110, Dec 16, 9:39pm
Funny reaction for someone who "doesn't post a lot". I have seen similar diatribes from other posters "who don't post a lot" but who support cooks without reservation. It must be catching. It's only reason for being here is to push it's overpriced wares. Emile Henry wares are able to be purchased with great ease from Stevens or the Living and Giving chain and take absolutely no searching for at all. In fact, I think I have even seen them in Briscoes.

cookessentials, Dec 17, 12:25am
you need to grow a brain buzzy.you would have to be the most anally retentive person I have ever had the misfortune to come across. Emile Henry can be purchased in a number of places. I dont need to advertise. However, you are advertising the fact that you are a nasty piece of work with nothing better to do than harangue anyone and everyone on these boards.grow up.