Can you help me identify ths fruit? Maybe Kumquat?

Page 2 / 3
uli, Mar 31, 7:57am
Righto - while you sort your thorns I will be waiting for munrotti's original pic so we can identify that tree in her daughters garden.

add1, Mar 31, 8:01am
Could it be a japonica quince?

uli, Mar 31, 8:07am
Quince leaves are not usually looking like citrus though.

add1, Mar 31, 8:10am
No, they don't really look like citrus leaves. Was thinking of the thorns. And the fruit comes after the leaves have dropped off if I remember right. We chopped ours out about 6 years ago.

munrotti, Mar 31, 8:50am
Hey grannypam, you photo looks very similar to our fruit exceptours is more orange. Is the skin sort of velvety fuzzy?

munrotti, Mar 31, 9:02am
I have looked atpictures of pomegranite and japonica quince and it is definitely not either of these. I have asked my daughter to take some photos and email them to me.

goldgurl, Mar 31, 9:08am
Sheesh Buzzy... what are you on about - sooo defensive lol! ! English is not my first language either... I didn't see anything 'odd' about Uli's post... I reckon I can see a thorn and trust that GP knows enough of the english language to know what a thorn looks and feels like.

cookessentials, Mar 31, 9:19am
new stem growth LOL I give up, as per usual here we go again. Hope you find out what it is #1 as for grannypam... . looks like "they" don;t belive you LOL... . the same old same old again. Garden centra is probably the best option seeing as this thread has now started to deteriorate. Have a great Easter folks and dont get too "thorny" now LOL.

grannypam, Mar 31, 9:28pm
well now. . lets see if the thorns are believed now. . lol

the tree is in somewhat of a shaded area so maybe the "fruit" are a bit slower ripening . .

http://images. trademe.co.nz/photoserver/62/125510862_full. jp
g

one of the thorns just to the right of the "fruit" . . actually I think the thorns may be confined to the fruiting branches. .

http://images. trademe.co.nz/photoserver/98/125510898_full. jp
g

and here are the thorns. . yes in all their glory and yes I got torn again. . lol

http://images. trademe.co.nz/photoserver/5/125510905_full. jpg

grannypam, Mar 31, 9:29pm
oh and yes the fruits do have a really nice almost velvety feel to them. . not as fuzzy as a peach. . a bit more like an apricot. .

rog.e, Mar 31, 9:44pm
Grannypam - Hi - When is a thorn not a thorn eh? When someone on this thread says it's not? lol.

Good looking thorns you have there in that secod pic.
Regards,
V

grannypam, Mar 31, 9:46pm
thanks val. . yep they are beauties arent they . . lol

Have you any ideas on what it is ? ?

Have also inherited a huge fig tree of the green skin variety. . not the browny/purple ones that my daughter has in her backyard. The tree is loaded but they are pretty small and nobody apart from me eats them.

uli, Mar 31, 9:49pm
Ok - I can identify that fruit for you grannypam - it is a Trifoliata orange.

It is used as rootstock to graft the different citrus varieties on.

It either means the grafted part has died out and you are left with the rootstock - OR there is still a bit of the grafted part there somewhere in the thicket of the rootstock's side shoots.

And yes the fruit is not really edible.

So you can start pruning it back to see if you find the original graft - and if there is nothing any more you can get someone to graft you another citrus onto the trifoliata rootstock after you have pruned it back into shape.

Grafting can still be done - it is too late now for budding. I personally would trim it back and then graft in spring.

grannypam, Mar 31, 9:52pm
thanks uli . . but we probably wont bother . . its all interweaved with a privet that we want to cut down anyways so we'll probably just chop the lot out. .

we have 2 other orange trees and a lemon elsewhere on the section . . plus a peach tree that I salvaged the last couple of peaches off when we came to look at the place . . they were beautiful so roll on next year. .

Also have a Loquat tree . . we have never had so many fruit trees. . lol

cookessentials, Mar 31, 9:53pm
Nothing like good looking thorns eh? LOL

rog.e, Mar 31, 10:05pm
Uli and gp - That's what I identify three as.

Some time someone has cut the grafted 'proper' orangedown and theresult has been growth of the rootstock.

Love those figs. I got two types but this year they are poor specimens. Not enough water so left most to feed the starving birds.

V

bin-boy-lin, Apr 1, 12:42am
See, now what did I say before? ? ?

grannypam, Apr 1, 12:51am
quite obviously I need glasses ... lol

not short at all ...

uli, Apr 1, 12:56am
Not sure what you did say "before" LOL
Was it important?

uli, Apr 1, 1:04am
O. K - because I was interested I did check what you said "before":

No comment needed - YOU have disqualified yourself there ...

IF you think that any of your ramblings were helpfu to poster #1 l why don't you start a nursery like I had and give advice ... ? ?

This will be my very last thread on giving any advice on here because I have had a gutsfull of people like you and others who just try to discredit anyone trying to help - and then having no answers at all themselves ...

Have a geat Easter ...

bin-boy-lin, Apr 1, 4:34am
When certain words are typed in capitals or uppercase, it indicates yelling, I will not be yelled at, nor be made to look like an idiot. I have had a lot to do with the horticultural industry. So I do take your posts as being picky. I have also over many months noticed this behaviour treating others in a similar way. Anyway this thread should be in the gardening section not among recipes. Is that clear enough Uli? ? ? ?

munrotti, Apr 1, 9:11pm
I have finally got hold of one from my daughter and uploaded photo. Thanks granny pam, I have looked at your photos and it looks just the same. I have looked up trifolata orange uli and it looks as if it is that, thanks. My photo at: http://images. trademe.co.nz/photoserver/61/125613261_full. jp
g

uli, Apr 1, 11:05pm
Seems I have solved both problems in one then :)
Hope it helped!
If you have any more problems please DO ask :)

cookessentials, Apr 2, 2:33am
ah, but you wont answer though LOL

buzzy110, Apr 2, 5:02am
Oh but it doesn't matter because any one of the people who know everything about everything will be able to answer instead, won't they? I'm sure bin-boy-lin will eagerly assist even if he does need to crow about being male or at least patronise the thread starter's ignorance and delivery if said poster is female.