Poor student-to-be

Page 3 / 4
jcsolgier, Dec 15, 8:01pm
Thats what I thought, until we used one and it was actually awesome - saved loads of time, could put it on a timer and have steamed vege, rice etc all ready when I got home from late shifts. It was my old flatmates and I really miss it now. The time and effort it saved was well worth the small cost.

elliehen, Dec 15, 8:47pm
When all else fails, attack the typos ;)

duckmoon, Dec 15, 10:26pm
As you will have noted earlier, the rice cooker was a gift. And a gift which has been well used since last Christmas

uli, Dec 15, 10:30pm
And so they will (surviving I mean) - until they reach their 40's or 50's and then the carbs will catch up with them . Good luck on re-educating them then :)

jcsolgier, Dec 15, 10:59pm
Uli - I notice you post a lot of anti-carb stuff and am interested to know your theory behind this!

kay141, Dec 16, 12:02am
I'm still waiting.

uli, Dec 16, 2:00am
I actually do not do much theory - but observation (on myself mostly - but sometimes on others who try out my "good ideas") - what would you like to know!

jcsolgier, Dec 16, 3:05am
What do carbs do when they 'catch up with you!' Why do we need to be saved from them! Do you mean all carbs! Should people avoid all carbohydrates or just certain types! What negative impact do they have!

uli, Dec 16, 4:00am
Carbs as in what I call "empty carbs" (= sugar and anything made from grains = sugar after 10 minutes of eating it) do nothing for you - except give you a "sugar spike". That sugar spike will end up in a low blood sugar scenario which then makes you very hungry - because low blood sugar is not good - and so is high blood sugar.

So basically - try to avoid eating anything that is high in sugar and high in grains - which seems to be the choice of most people: breakfast "cereal" and/or toast, morning tea: a muffin, lunch: sandwich, afternoon tea: more cakes or muffins, dinner: rice or pasta or potato based - and a bit of meat or veges - maybe .

all in all carbs with carbs and carbs - if you feel "very healthy" then you could add some juice to the mix : more sugary stuff!

So what I am trying to say: is keep away from grains and sugar and you will be fine. And do learn what grains and their derivates are: I am most concerned that 90% of the people I talk to (and told to stay away from grains) do not even realize that pasta is made from wheat (=grains) .

uli, Dec 16, 4:09am
So a "healthy" diet as I see it (cooks, frances and ellie will correct of course):

Breakfast: anything left over from dinner OR eggs in any form: boiled, fried in butter or coconut oil, an omelet or a frittata etc . with tomatoes, eggplants, mushrooms etc.

Lunch: Fresh green salad (not the leaves in "air controlled" bags from the supermarket) with either eggs or fish (can be a tin of wild salmon).

Dinner: Meat and vegetables (there are literally hundreds of of variations on that scheme).

Try NOT to snack in between meals. if you "have to" - then stick to protein like boiled eggs or a handfull of nuts or even some fat like a spoonful of Coconut oil :)

Good luck!

jcsolgier, Dec 16, 9:38pm
Wow that is really different to what I have learned.

seche-cheveux, Dec 16, 9:53pm
It depends on your body type. 'Healthy diet' is individual specific.

elliehen, Dec 16, 10:10pm
Absolutely!We are unique individuals each with a unique genetic inheritance and a unique environment. I would not presume to tell one single other individual how to eat, any more than I would insist that they read the books I like.

One size does not fit all.

uli, Dec 16, 10:20pm
I am sure it would be different (cause where is money to be made! - not in healthy eating and living but in big Pharma and "health food products") - I am very lucky in that my GP has actually studied much the same as me - and we now always swap books when we meet :)

I am happy to discuss this further with you if you are interested. However most people on here aren't.

uli, Dec 16, 10:25pm
Well - we do not really have different "body types" - never mind the blood group diet, the new book he concocted about the body type diets or any of the hair colour diets, eye colour diets or skin colour diets.

Humans are humans and their bodies work pretty much in the same manner.

A healthy human diet I have outlined above - if you do not like it then go and eat something else - then come back here later and tell us all about your problems you have developed over the years on your "individual specific" diet. Oh no - on second thoughts: better go the to the health forum to do that as too much health in recipes usually gets deleted.
Good luck!

buzzy110, Dec 16, 10:32pm
Oh my god. You want to cook rice and keep it warm for up to 12 hours! What is the point of that!

buzzy110, Dec 16, 10:47pm
Take a look at middle aged around you and judge for yourself, if you know, the basic foods that they eat. Will it have been toast and tea for b/f, sandwiches for lunch, meat or pasta for dinner with cakes, biscuits, muffins, etc for inbetween. I'm sure most people will have fruit, salad (usually rice or potato but I'm really talking a vegetable based one) and vegetables, whether they be frozen or fresh, as well.

Now ask yourself just how many of them are still enjoying the perfect health of their youth and how many of them have begun a slow decline, starting with walking slower, getting niggling aches and pains, rounded bellies and just generally sinking into a gentle decline. Are the older people free of health scares relating to heart or coronary conditions, auto immune diseases, diabetes or bad backs.

These, and many other little chronic, but not life threatening conditions are usually the result of long term intake of grain type carbs, definitely high intakes of sugar and a reliance on processed foods.

Not everyone suffers but it is certainly a lottery.

jcsolgier, Dec 16, 10:51pm
Not a big believer in health food products, and definitely agree that people need to eat less carbs, especially simple sugars but doubtful about cutting them out altogether - after all, fruit and veges are full of comparatively simple sugars that also give you a blood sugar spike.
I'm always really interested to learn about different peoples idea of healthy and what works for them diet wise (having IBS and endo I know first hand what a difference diet can make to health and wellbeing).
Would you recommend a diet as you outlined above for people operating at the peak of human ability - like top athletes who eat incredible amounts of food, mostly being carbs! I know this does not apply to the majority of people but would be interesting to see what differenvr a low carb vs. high carb diet would make to people operating at that level of performance.
I would have thought that having some complex carbs in the diet would be really important for your glycogen stores allowing your liver and pancreas to maintain a stable blood sugar (obviously a different story for people with metabolic disorders).

jcsolgier, Dec 16, 10:54pm
It really depends on the person - for example my in laws have your standard diet - meat, carb, vege and are very healthy. I have friends who have always eaten low carb and have that decline that you are talking about. I know many extremely healthy and vigorous asian people (which seems like is always good for a debate here lol) who have always eaten masses of rice.

elliehen, Dec 16, 10:56pm
Top athletes on low carb!Not competitive professionals.Maybe the recreational athletic types who can stop the bike for a snack when they feel like a rest.

buzzy110, Dec 16, 11:30pm
Take a look at the book "Primal Blueprint" by Mark Sissons. This gentleman was the second fastest man in America. He has a lot to say about the carb diet and what it did to his body. He recommends a different sort of diet, and carbs from sources other than grains, specifically wheat, processed foods and sugar.

jcsolgier, Dec 16, 11:33pm
So still pro carb! What sources did he recommend! the only major source I can think of that is non-grain and sugar is potatoes. Will look out for that book.

buzzy110, Dec 16, 11:46pm
Hey. There is nothing wrong with a diet of meat, veg and carbs. Asian diets have consisted of that for millenia and they are doing fine. I wonder why people always get this mixed up. The diet most people are eating now has way more carbs from processed grains and sugar than ever before leading too all sorts of problems. Poor students don't seem able to work out that one cauliflower for $2 can last all week whereas a cheap can of tomatoes will last for 2 meals, if that. A packet of cheap stirfried veges lasts, how long! 3 meals. A few fresh vegetables for the same cost of all those "cheap pkts of frozen veg" will last longer if eked out by cooking the Chinese way. A crock pot, filled with the cheapest of cheap, cuts and cheap fresh vegetables will be more cost effective than "cheaper options" and healthier.

Therefore I support the OP getting a crockpot and reaping the benefits.

buzzy110, Dec 16, 11:55pm
Not really pro-carb but like you say, carbs, in varying degrees, are found in all vegetables and fruit as well as dairy and eggs. He just prefers that carbs come for sources other than grains - whole or processed and sugars. Depending on one's lifestyle his carb range is somewhere between 30 to 120grms (I think) and recommends settling somewhere around 50 to 60grms if weight is not an issue. You'd have to read the book to see what he recommends for high physical achievers but he prefers the benefits of protein and fats over carbs any day. His focus is more positive toward the latter two macronutrients and more away from carbs rather than spending his time discussing and focussing solely on carbs. They are just part of the picture and have their place only as the third unavoidable macronutrient.

kay141, Dec 17, 12:03am
A cauliflower for $2 would be nice especially at this time of the year. However, at least 3 tins of tomatoes could be purchased for the same amount.