Poor student-to-be

Page 1 / 4
gracie3, Dec 12, 6:25pm
Slow cookers from K Mart.Are they ok!

duckmoon, Dec 12, 8:22pm
If there was one appliance I would recommend, it is a rice cooker.

I asked a Chinese friend what I should look for in a rice cooker, and he said "price".

Together with a slow cooker, they will be set

duckmoon, Dec 12, 8:23pm
I paid twenty five dollars for my rice cooker at briscoes

pickles7, Dec 12, 11:33pm
Do you use your rice cooker, like one would use a slow cooker!.duckmoon .

pickles7, Dec 12, 11:39pm
I would guess they are all much the same. The bowls are all breakable and all will crack if they encounter hot/ cold/ conditions. Don't throw away the receipt, they should have a warranty. Don't buy one if it doesn't. We got ours using our fly buy points, 2 years later after careful use, it is still in one piece. I wouldn't be without one now.

sarahb5, Dec 12, 11:41pm
My daughter's rice cooker got more use than her slow cooker last year because students just aren't awake/organised enough to put food in a slow cooker before going to uni in the morning but rice is cheap so they eat lots of it - you can also cook more than just rice in a rice cooker

gilligee, Dec 12, 11:47pm
But rice is just 15 minutes in the microwave. Why do you need a rice cooker for that!

genpat, Dec 13, 12:00am
Got mine a slow cooker and a recipe book.The flatmates take it in turn to do the morning thing,throw something in the pot before they get out.Also good on weekends when all too tired [hung over!] to cook.

lilyfield, Dec 13, 12:07am
quite - could never see the sense in one either.

sarahb5, Dec 13, 12:40am
Because a rice cooker is cheaper than a microwave and there is so much more you can cook in it than just rice - you can steam vegetables and fish, for example.

seche-cheveux, Dec 13, 12:59am
What does that mean! more expensive the better!

wasgonna, Dec 13, 1:15am
Don't know how we got on to Rice Cookers but even the cheap Slow Cookers from K'Mart are ok for what you want. If they stock Kambrook, go for that. A bit better quality.

sarahb5, Dec 13, 1:28am
Rice cookers are more likely to get more use by most students - the majority are just not that organised as much as they might think or say they're going to be at the start of the year the reality once they actually get to uni or wherever is different.A rice cooker doesn't actually require them to be able to cook - chuck some rice and water in it and by the time you've cooked up a bag of stir fry veg your dinner's done - a slow cooker generally requires a bit more planning and preparation than that and most uni students I know just don't bother except at the weekend maybe if they don't have work or study to do.That's how we got onto rice cookers .

sarahb5, Dec 13, 1:29am
LOL - I got mine for $10 off here, hardly used, local and it's the same model as yours, or so I'm told anyway!

uli, Dec 13, 1:43am
Poor student-to-be: I would buy some good pots and pans if I were you and then I would buy some Beginners cookbook and cook quick simple stir fries: lots of fresh vegies a good amount of meat and fresh salads. As a student you need your brain to work - so you need fresh food and enough protein, not stodgy rice and pasta meals which leave you tired. A quick stir-fry uses much less electricity than your crockpot and takes no longer than 30 minutes from start to eating - even if you chop the vegies a bit slower as you are a beginner.

Make sure you eat enough salads, fortified with eggs, fish (tins are cheap), a bit of cheese maybe, and you will be top of the class :)

sarahb5, Dec 13, 1:50am
Yeah right uli - and plenty of Tui to go with it .

uli, Dec 13, 1:53am
What is your point!

jcsolgier, Dec 13, 2:03am
I just finished being a student (yuss) and used my slow cooker all the time. Please don't accuse us all of being lazy and disorganised, it's very unfair. If OP wants a slow cooker, chances are she/he will use it.
Our flat also used my flatmates rice cooker a lot. I would go for the most cost effective one unless you are going to thrash it like I did, in which case a kambrook would probably stand up to a bit more punishment.

kay141, Dec 13, 2:09am
I don't know whatstudents you are talking about. All the ones I know, including realtions are very organised and use it a lot. They are all in mixed flats so that may make a difference.

sarahb5, Dec 13, 2:34am
I'm not accusing anyone of anything just pointing out that if you have classes early in the day, or are not an organised person who has time to do the preparation before classes, then your rice cooker is likely to get more use than your slow cooker.This has been the case in my daughter's flat - the slow cooker has come home for the holidays but the rice cooker has been asked to stay .That says it all to me.

sarahb5, Dec 13, 2:35am
My point is that fresh fruit and veggies cost more than frozen (sad but true) and when you're on a student's tight budget you go for cheap rather than what's necessarily healthiest.

gracie3, Dec 13, 3:14am
I probably should have said that I am the poor student-to-be and an adult.I'm just thinking ahead.

deus701, Dec 13, 4:23am
+1 to rice cooker. I cook rice, steam stuff, stew soups, even bake a cake in it a few times. My brand is Panasonic.

sarahb5, Dec 13, 6:50am
That does actually make a difference - my daughter was full of plans about cooking this, that and the other when she got into her own flat but the reality was that by the time she got home from uni and/or work she really couldn't be bothered and, true to form, even at uni couldn't get out of bed early enough in the morning to organise anything other than a cup of tea and bowl of cereal.At least the rice cooker is quick when you do get home and rice is cheap and versatile.

uli, Dec 13, 8:02am
I was a poor student once too - and that is exactly how I lived. There were no frozen veggies then - and believe it or not - I managed to get a lease for 1 bottle of wine a year for an unbuild upon city area which I turned into a vege garden. How! By simply finding out the onwe and talking to them!

We all had huge fun having BBQ's there and eating "outside" in summer. And we lived "out of the garden" all year round by burying the veges underground when it would freeze in winter. It cost me $90 a month in buying additional groceries then - and even if you double or treble that to accommodate raised prices you will find it to be cheaper than your frozen and canned ideas plus eating all those carbs as fillers.

We would also go to the vegetable markets on Saturdays on closing time and get unbelievable bargains - one never knew what food we would be eating the next week. But it was all fun and we concocted the most amazing beetroot chocolate cakes or courgette frittatas. This is what I call a great life - how does that compare to pasta with a tinned sauce from a supermarket - drab at the least!