Melting white choclate Q!

sarahw2, Dec 11, 9:40pm
Ok, so I dont have a microwave. Can I just melt it in a bowl over boiling water! Last time I did this, it so didnt work. It needs to be reasonably runny, as its for the top of mellowpuffs, to look like a mini xmas pudding, thanks very much!

harrislucinda, Dec 11, 9:46pm
doing thatshouldworkasinbrowndoyoucutintosmallpieces!

sarahb5, Dec 11, 9:48pm
Yes you can but make sure you buy white chocolate melts rather than bars of white chocolate - I have tried melting Milky Bar and Cadbury's white chocolate but just ended up with a gluggy mess.I think Whittakers works although I haven't tried it but the melts definitely do just make sure you don't get any water/steam in it.

hmck, Dec 11, 11:55pm
Whittakers is really good for melting - my nephew who is a chef says it is because of the higher cocoa content (there - I learned something new also!).

elliehen, Dec 11, 11:57pm
I use Whittaker's for all my chocolate dipping - it's no-fail :)

a_n_h, Dec 12, 12:00am
I melt my white choc over a pot of just simmering water. I find if the water is boiling it doesnt work & also when it is almost all melted I take it off the heat too & stir to melt the last few bits. I use it for my mellowpuff christmas puds too

bedazzledjewels, Dec 12, 12:05am
Agree with Sarahb5. White chocolate isn't really chocolate and I've had that gluggy mess too, from using normal white chocolate bars.

sarahw2, Dec 12, 12:19am
i will be using white chocolate melts. Hope it works! Thanks for the info:-)

pheebs1, Dec 12, 12:26am
why didnt it work! make sure the heat is not to high and the bowl doesnt touch the water as soon as it gets too hot it will seize so gently does it

prawn_whiskas, Dec 12, 12:39am
Gluggy mess is a result of over heating (water touching the bottom of the bowl) and burning the chocolate or Condensation/water or any moisture getting into the melt.

Best chocolate available in the supermarket for any home chocolatiere work are, 1. Lindt and 2. Whittakers both of these around the 50% cocoa mass mark.If you can afford it buy Coverture in bulk (1kg blocks).

Courtesy of a Coture Chocolatiere attended early this year.

wildflower, Dec 12, 2:48am
I only buy Whittakers and use it for everything. Never a problem.