Who else is opting out

Page 6 / 8
elliehen, Dec 10, 5:25am
SARAH'S CRANBERRY KUCHEN

If you're looking for something to eat while you open presents, this cake is best made the day before you eat it, making breakfast stress-free on Christmas morning.

2 cups flour (for a gluten-free version, use 1 cup brown rice flour, 1 cup sorghum flour and 1/2 cup tapioca starch)

1 Tbsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

2 eggs

1 cup milk or milk substitute (almond, rice, or soy milk)

1/2 cup plain yoghurt or buttermilk

2 Tbsp canola or other oil

1/2 cup sugar

1 tsp vanilla

1 Tbsp orange zest

4 cups cranberries (frozen)

For the streusel topping:

1 1/2 cups flour (see gluten-free suggestion above)

1 cup sugar

6 Tbsp butter

1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg 1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Lightly grease a 13cm x 9cm baking dish (preferably Pyrex or ceramic).

Sift or whisk the flour, baking powder and salt into a small bowl.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, yoghurt or buttermilk, canola oil, sugar, vanilla, and orange zest until thoroughly mixed and the sugar is beginning to dissolve.

Fold in the dry ingredients and gently stir until just incorporated. Pour into the prepared dish and roll the pan from side to side so the batter evenly coats the bottom of the dish.

In a food processor, finely chop the cranberries and evenly place over the batter.

Clean the processor and add all the streusel ingredients and process until the butter is in fine pieces (it should look like coarse sand). Pour over the cranberries and spread evenly. Bake for one hour, or until the middle of the cake is firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and cool.

Source: Stuff

elliehen, Dec 10, 5:27am
If you are ever in Nelson, nfh1, you must visit Hoglund Art Glass.

http://www.hoglundartglass.com/

nfh1, Dec 10, 5:39am
I have - I bought a lovely purple/blue coloured glass vase, sort of iridescent- about 15 inches tall - it is a second and cost much less than the perfect ones.It has a tiny bubble in it, but you have to look hard to see it.I also have a penguin about 6 inches tall and a small kiwi.The vase was our present to each other when we emigrated here - the perfect one was very very expensive!

I will definitely visit again.

ant_sonja, Dec 10, 5:48am
Only opting out of the buying of gifts, everything given is home made. Very much dislike the commercial buying frenzy.wouldn't want to opt out of enjoying a fab meal with loved ones celebrating the end of another wonderful year - we're keeping it nice & simple though, so no stress :-)

elliehen, Dec 10, 6:16am
There are lots of alternatives to the "commercial buying frenzy".As well as baking and other home-made items, there are secondhand books and gifts under $5.00 from the recycling centres and charity shops.

The price of something often bears little relationship to its true value.

elliehen, Dec 11, 3:53am
It was doomed to go off-topic because only about three posters are 'opting out' so the rest came in with their own good reasons for opting in ;)

Edited to add:Much of the OT conversation was between pickles7 and buzzy110 and seemed to be centred around 'arousal' and parcels arriving in plain brown wrappers.

manukarose1, Dec 14, 10:04am
I guess I'm opting out too, but I've opted out for around 45 years - so it's kind of old hat to me.

uli, Dec 15, 4:06am
Yep - I am out of it for 35 years now I just calculated :)

buzzy110, Dec 15, 4:19am
Oooh. Now I'm feeling left out. No goats here. Maybe I can go down to the local Doc farm and "borrow" a horse or two, put a hairy man mask on it's head and call it a centaur. I'm sure they wouldn't miss it. Orgy at my place. I think it is fairly central. The grapes won't be ripe yet but I'll use oranges and wine in their place.

Who will bring the pipes!

buzzy110, Dec 15, 4:22am
I would love to be out but family have different ideas. DD badgers me every year and now the other has returned from her gypsy roving she is adding her voice to the badgering, before heading off again in the new year. Best I can do is opt out of the consumerism.

vmax2, Dec 15, 4:43am
So what does Christmas mean to people these days!There are less and less going to churches.Has it become a family get together, a celebration of harvest!Absolutely hate the consumerism, but I have young kids who expect presents.For us it has become a relaxed family occasion where we just spend time together, kids play with presents, go for a walk with the dog and kick a ball around, eat good food.Hate it when the extended family get together though and you have to spend time with people you don't really like.

elliehen, Dec 15, 4:51am
vmax2, it works better as a festival in the northern hemisphere, especially where it snows.The only green thing in sight is the conifer tree and everyone is inside keeping warm, so having the stove going while you bake all day is fun.

There is no harvest going on, so everybody is not flat-out gardening and preserving and bottling.Children are at school and not underfoot for summer holidays (they only get a couple of days off).

As a religious festival it will work anywhere in the world, though, like many traditions, it is changing with the times.

I suppose, to answer your question, it nowadays means many different things to many different people.As the influence of the churches declines, it is becoming more of a gathering together of the family.not always happy to be compelled to be together, as you suggest ;)

hezwez, Dec 15, 9:06am
You remind me of the quote "Friends are family we choose for ourselves"

uli, Dec 15, 4:59pm
Pipes for an orgy!
DO explain . :)

buzzy110, Dec 15, 9:43pm
Pan pipes. Any good Bacchanalian orgy has to have Pan Pipes. But I thought last night that I better turn the oranges into juice for the designated drivers!

I will supply the paddling pool so we can all bathe in goat's milk after using the naughty arousement cream that pickles is going to provide in bulk.

uli, Dec 15, 10:32pm
This is so funny!
:)

punkinthefirst, Dec 15, 11:06pm
No centaurs in the pool, please - they'll just put holes in it with their hooves!

pickles7, Dec 15, 11:52pm

iman007, Dec 16, 10:07pm
jesters is always first on my list for lunch, great place to spend an hour or two, specially if you are with people who have kids, they can feed the eels there.

buzzy110, Dec 16, 10:11pm
I bet they do to, especially as the only horses at our local farm park are clydesdales. They'd make whooping great holes in my dainty pool. Anyone got a nice cast iron bath tub they'd like to donate. The centaurs can bathe in that, one leg at a time.

elliehen, Dec 16, 10:14pm
The locals love it too.and the huge organic garden area where children can play hide-and-seek.Older children can challenge their parents to a game of giant chess.

Watch your toes with the eels.they leap right out of the water and can look like sharks at close range ;)

iman007, Dec 16, 10:27pm
and rabbit island for a bbq, ahh them were the days, aniseed valley for a picnic, god i miss nelson, hope all getting back to normal after the bad weather! siefreids for a nice relaxing lunch and a glass of red.

elliehen, Dec 17, 2:55am
iman007, the clean-up is underway.

All the things you miss are still here and only seven hours drive away :)

iman007, Dec 17, 6:22am
about 5 and a half hrs drive from memory, i normally go up the middle and home the coast road,
the news on tv wasnt good, hope your home all ok! Looked real bad man!
I used to spend all my time at the turf pub and everyone worked around that, my kids knew i would be in the tab or outside soaking up the rays, a good feed there as well when nabby had the pub, hes down here in canty now, see him occasionally

elliehen, Dec 17, 6:32am
All OK here, but here's a post from another thread with a graphic photo.

PS"about 5 and a half hrs drive from memory" is too fast ;)