All you cake decoraters out there please help

deerhunter1962, Dec 2, 5:01am
I went to the 2 cake shops to get pipping gel to make a water effect on acake to find they only sell it in small tubes and a costly price, is there anyone who has made this stuff and it taste nice or know where to buy it . have to have it by next weekend for thewater fall part thanks

motgirl, Dec 2, 5:30am
Haven't tried this my self but might be worth ago:
Piping Gel:
Ingredients:
- ¼ cup lemon juice (If you are using concentrated Lemon juice, you have to dilute it first otherwise the gel tastes too sour)
- 1 level tablespoon corn flour
- ¼ cup water
- 4 tbs castor sugar

Method:
Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and
dissolve over low heat stirring continuously till mixture comes to the boil.

Let the mixture thicken. Then remove from heat.

If mixture thickens too much add a little more water.
Colour as desired.

Store in fridge in airtight container.

lcl2, Dec 2, 8:10pm
Try using thick jelly (just before it is completly set)

deerhunter1962, Dec 4, 8:20am
Thick jelly is that just the normal jelly that kids like! if so that would make it hard for it to stay on the waterfall, unless theres some jelly out there and ive not heard of it, thanks

sclaredy_cat, Dec 5, 4:15am
Can you buy glucose syrup at your supermarket! It is sometimes available from chemists too. It is a thick sugar syrup, the consistency o golden syrup, and is sometimes called corn syrup. You can colour it with gel colouring. I have used jelly once before when I first started out. Even made with less than half of the water, it slowly melted, and made a huge mess of the cake - never again!

deerhunter1962, Dec 5, 7:41am
yes sclaredy_cat u do have corn syrup but i also need it to go down the the waterfall if i put that on woulding it slide down!but using it for the pond seems a birlliant idea. any ideas as to keep the gel on the waterfall part!and can you flavour corn syrup! how long have you been doin cakes for sclaredy_ cat! anybody els got any other ideas or help thanks

sclaredy_cat, Dec 6, 4:33pm
I've never tried flavoring it, but I can't see why it wouldn't work, just test some and see. For the 'down' part of the waterfall, I would be tempted to make a strip of toffee from the corn syrup and let it harden before I attached it. You could blend the edges with more syrup to disguise the join. I have been doing cakes for probably 10 years or so now. It's great fun :) good luck eh, would love to see a picture if the finished result!